Chapter 11 - Ballads and Bubbles

Jason’s POV

        “Farren Miller, ex-con, now working for the Red Cats. He’s your first target. You need to take him out,” Foster stands in front of us, reading off the hologram projected in the middle of the room. “He’s going to be at a party, very formal, only the elite of the elite can get in.”

        “Then how did we manage access?” Andrew, the firebending Irishman stands a few feet away from me, his gaze wandering the picture of the man.

        Farren Miller, short black hair, brown eyes, sharp features, used to be a sniper in the old days. Eden stands next to me, eyes scrutinizing on the woman briefing us.

        “Dr Graves managed to get invitations. How he got them is classified. Your mission, and your only mission,” she gives a pointed glance at the young woman beside me, “is to capture him. He’s a key player in the game. A pawn, yes, but still extremely important, hopefully with a little interrogation we can some information out of him.

        “Interrogation? You mean torture?” It is Brad, the winged American, who expresses his disgust.

        “Not torture, Agent Williams, just interrogation. We have...methods to get people to talk,” Graves walks through the side door, casting Eden and I a glance.

        Eden snorts and crosses her arms, glaring at the doctor. “Is he an Inhuman? Does he have powers?” she asks, making a gesture toward the picture.

        “No,” Foster answers, shaking her head. “But do not underestimate this man, Agent Smith. He’s dangerous.” Eden scoffs, knowing full well she can easily take down one man single-handedly. “He is highly skilled in hand-to-hand combat, and I suspect he will not take well the crashing of his party.”

        “It’s his party?” I speak up, raising an eyebrow.

        “Yes, it seems allying himself with the Reds have given him many advantages. Money being one of them. And soldiers, do not expect this to be easy, there will be more men than just Farren in there. They are all just as dangerous, if not, more so, than you,” she speaks to the five select Inhuman recruits in the room. “You may think you have the advantage but you do not. Dr Graves will escort you there, he will be there at the party with you, but do not expect him to help if you get into trouble. He is not allowed to enter combat.”

        “Why?” Percival asks, he can never get a read on either Foster or Graves, we have asked many times to see if he can perceive their thoughts, only to find that they can some how block him out.

        “Classified.”

        “I’ll be there, if you think you have a clear opportunity you go straight to Eden or Jason, they will relay it to me. They are the only ones to have access to my earpiece.” Graves looks around the room, surveying the soon-to-be soldiers before him. “This is your first mission, do not be afraid. There should be no problems.”

        The four soldiers surrounding me nod, each with a different kind of fire in their eyes. “You are dismissed. Good luck,” Fosters lets us leave, the weight of our first opt hanging off our shoulders.

~    ~    ~    ~

Eden’s POV

        I tug nervously at the edge of my dress, drawing the fabric between my fingers and kneading it. Jason raises an eyebrow at me, straightening his bow-tie in the mirror. “Nervous?” he asks, looking away as he catches my eye. He quickly straightens his bangs, sweeping them so that they are out of his eyes.