Chapter 20 - The New Plan

Jason's POV

I wake up with Lily's head resting on my shoulder, I dare not to move in case I wake her. Sunlight filters in through the canopy above our heads and it takes me a few moments to register why I'm not in my usual bed in HQ.

Then last night's events come rushing back to me; all from Farren's desperate escape to the point where we had someone shot dead in the forest. I can just make out Mccready's sleeping form a few feet from where I lay. His body curled into itself next to the embers of last night's fire.

With careful precision I extract myself from Lily's arm -which was thrown over me- and sit up, surveying our makeshift camp. Brad and Bailey, the twins of the group, are curled around each other. John sits a little ways away from them, carefully keeping watch. His blonde hair is strewn all over the place, dead leaves caught it in. Percival is sitting next to him, conversing quietly and keeping watch over the forest. Aidan and Andrew, who had become fast friends despite their difference in origin and power, sit by the fire, Andrew lighting the remaining embers with his hand. Zachery, our teleporter, is only just stirring from his slumber. Kaya is still fast asleep a few yards away from me, and Amber, a beautiful young girl with the power to talk to animals, is curled up next to Harry, our speedster. Eden and Graves sit a little bit further out, keeping watch.

This is all that's left of the Inhumans. All that are in our presence at least, maybe more got out of the wreckage, maybe not, we don't know. All recruits are ordered to have earpieces on them at all times, in case of an emergency. This classifies as one and no-one's been in contact. Our only option is to assume they're dead.

Movement on my left draws my attention and I see that Lily has awoken and is sitting up, staring around at those of us left.

"Do you think others made it?" she asks, her blue eyes flitting back and forth between those she has deemed our friends. It then hits me that anyone of these people could be the mole, Lily included. I feel my guard go up immediately.

"I don't know," I respond, trying my best to act natural, "there was a lot of debris and a lot of fire. We didn't have very much time to respond, Eden and I barely made it out and we were right there when Farren gave us the warning."

She nods but doesn't say anything else.

Eden's POV

I wake up to find my head in James' lap, slightly disgusted but also relieved that I managed to get some sleep I sit up. Graves is still on watch, his languid blue eyes scan the forest and he says nothing about my falling asleep on watch.

For a few minutes I am content enough to watch with him, but when there is a rustle of movement behind me that suggests the others are waking, I stand. Stretching, I walk over to the small fire Andrew has lit. He and Aidan are sitting side by side, saying nothing to each other, simply watching the flames. Giving each of them a small nod i go over to Percival and John who are both on watch as well.

"C'mon," I say quietly when they turn to look at me, "we need to discuss what we're going to do next." I can feel their stares as I turn and walk away. Clearly the night has not washed away their memories of the decision I made to kill Dylan Thomson.

Soon, everyone is assembled around the small fire and Jason and I stand side by side, once again back in the routine of leading. Graves stands at the edge of the small group, his back to us, once again staring at the burning wreckage that was Headquarters.

"We need to decide what to do next," I finally speak up. There are no comments. "Should we try and find shelter or stick here for the night?"

"You seem to be the one making all the decisions, why don't you decide?" That's Harry. The slight bitterness in his eyes is clear.

"Eden's decision was for the best of the group," Amber responds quietly at his shoulder, "it can't have been an easy choice."

"She still could have put it to a vote," he hisses back. "I don't want to be responsible for murder."

"In case you haven't noticed, Agent Davis, we're in a war. You're going to have to kill people," Mccready's voice is as hard as steel. "And you're not the one who shot him, I got that privilege."

"You think that's a privilege? Having to-"

"Stop. Both of you." Jason puts an immediate end to the conversation. "What are we going to do? We need to get out of the forest, that's the first step."

"Well, how do we do that? We have no transportation, no ships to fly in," Percival is level-headed and speaks his mind.

"That's not entirely true," Graves speaks from the edge, still looking on at the burning building. "There's an underground bunker, full of aircrafts that could take us to the next base, I doubt the Red Cats knew about, only a handful of people on the base did."

"Including you," I comment.

He nods.

"What do you mean 'next base'?" Kaya voices her question.

"You're not the only batch of Inhumans we've been training, there's others out there, and with luck they'll not be blown to bits," James answers. "Our best bet is the one in England. It's incredibly secluded and nobody can find it."

"Where is it?" Jason asks.

"London."