Chapter 6 - Tactical Training

~ 3 months later~

Eden’s POV

        I crouch, completely still, barely breathing, not allowing a muscle to move. The tree I’m perched in is tall. Really tall. If I couldn’t fly I would not have come up here. Training exercise. After having been brutally beaten again in again in combat training the recruits had started working as a special ops team; doing training exercises that involved saving a maiden in danger while trying not to get caught.

        A flash of red moves past my infrared vision. Jason, no doubt, going to scout ahead. “E, I think I’ve found something,” Kaya, a nineteen year old, dark-skinned girl with the power to shape-shift into animals speaks lowley over the com in my ear.

        I straighten up a little, searching for her familiar form in my infrared. “Where are you?” I hiss into the com.

        She giggles a little and I feel a small bird land on my shoulder. Her markings are the only way I can distinguish her from some random fowl that had been curious. The two stripes down the bird’s back mark her as Kaya.

        It hops off my shoulder and shifts, changing into the girl I know. Her short, brown, curly hair falls into her eyes for a moment before she flicks it back out of her face, giving me a warm smile. She jerks her head in the direction in front of us. “That way,” she murmurs.

        I nod and play out a thought to Percival. In front, tell Jason.

        Moments later Jason is whispering in my ear. “Who saw it?”

        “Kaya,” I murmur, looking once again through my infrared in the pitch black. I search for a body heat signature I don't recognize. Within a minute I find him; Mccready, our fake Red Cat we are trying to apprehend without getting shot and killed. As far as the Red Cats are aware we do not exist. Graves and Foster want to keep it that way. “Jason, do you see him?”

        There is a rush of wind by my ear: our signal to let me know that he is directly above me. “Yeah, heading north, several metres in front of us,” he relays through the com, sending it to everyone else.

        “Zach, Abigail, take him on his left,” I order, the teleporter and the quantum stealthman reply with soft ‘okay’s and Jason and I start giving out directions at top speed.

        “Michael, Yuri, go right.” The German and the Russian take off.

        “Brad, Bailey, go round him, take him at his front, the way he’s walking,” Brother and sister leave, flashing past my infrared momentarily as Brad takes flight, his wings carrying him easily through the trees.

        “Aidan, Andrew, spot his back, don’t lose him.” The American and Irishman work well together, their powers of waterbending and firebending making an oddly good combination.

        Soon the rest of the troops are positioned, surrounding the ‘Red Cat’ and hopefully taking him by surprise. I had grown to like Mccready, he wasn’t as rude as he seemed to be at first, and he respected all of us.

        “Kaya, Percival, stick with Jason and I, we’ll take him from above,” I mutter, giving a glance to Kaya, now a squirrel scurrying up the scarred trunk of the tree.

        “How’m I supposed to get up,” Perce asks, the smallest hint of annoyance in his voice. Jason must be feeding him thoughts, because soon I see two bright red forms rise in the air, side by side.

        Jason’s controlling Percival’s ascent, the younger looks highly shaky. “Don’t drop him, Jason,” I hiss threateningly. We still weren’t best friends, but we treated each other with respect, and that’s all we really needed to work well together. It seems we were born for this job.