Chapter 17 - The Mark of Chaos

A/N: Okayyyyy.....right so i realise that i've been gone for an incredibly long time and i am really super duper sorry, but i had school -final exams please don't remind me of that horrible time- then for a short while my laptop went kaput and i've only just managed to fix it in the past two days, both having been spent re-reading this story and writing two chapters for it. I will be putting those two finished chapters up today as a sort of consolation for being gone so long. So, i once again apologise and sorry sorry sorry.

-------------------------------------------

Jason's POV

Graves steps out of the shadow of a tree, looking relaxed and relieved. His normally clean cut black hair is ruffled and stuck out, like he's just rolled out of bed. I do not lower my stance, this could very easily be a trick, some ploy by the Reds.

"You're alive," are the only words that come out of my mouth.

"So are you." As if sensing my uneasiness he smiles; a small, warm turn of the lips that sends my whole body into a very wary state of alertness. He glances at Eden, then at Kaya. "Glad you found company, Eden may need medical attention. I can help." He takes a single step forward, not threatening in the least, but it's enough to send my instincts into overdrive. By pure instinct, and the uneasy feeling in my gut, alone, I strike. A strong gust of wind, meant to harm, sends Graves back into a tree trunk. His head hits, hard, the sound of bone of wood giving out a sharp crack into the silence of the forest.

Kaya look at me as if I've just gone insane, which is a very probable conclusion, but I do not trust the man that now lies in a heap on the forest floor. He groans, audibly, the pain coming out verbally in a series of low moans. There's a flicker, Graves' whole being shuddering, then he transforms into a completely different person. A blonde haired, blue eyed, clearly military man sits a few yards in front of me.

There is a moment of tense silence between the three of us. It seems to go on for minutes, me looking at the stranger, him looking back at me, Kaya looking in between the both of us. "Good job, Zacharias, you found me out." He closes his eyes and rests his head back on the tree trunk, flinching when he minutely moves his arm. "I didn't think you idiots from the Brazilian compound could be so intelligent, you've surprised me."

"Who are you?" I ask coldly, not relaxing my stance.

"Dylan Thompson." He flashes a white-toothed grin.

"Why did you attack us?"

He drops all of his gleeful persona.

"Because, you were ruining our plans. We needed to put a stop to that. And my friend happens to be very good a pyrotechnics."

"Your friend?"

He doesn't reply.

There is a soft groan from the ground. Eden. She must be waking up. "Are you part of the Red Cats?"

He snorts. "Why do people insist that they call us that?"

"Are you?"

"Of course I am, you idiot," he snarls. He pulls up his left sleeve roughly, revealing his wrist. There's a deep, dark, purple mark. It look like a line, with two sets of horns going in opposite directions.

"What is that?" I ask calmly, although I already have a pretty good idea what it is. I took Greek Mythology in Secondary School.

"The mark of Eris, Greek goddess of Chaos. We are going to bring Chaos into this world. Humans will have no idea what's hit them. They have no idea that there are people like us -people like you and me- that have so much more to give to the world. We could wipe out the Humans in a few days. We would be the ultimate race."

"The humans made us. They gave us our powers, our privileges, and you're condemning them to death for doing something good? Something right?"

"What have they told you, about you? Anything? Anything other than that you're a lab experiment?"

"They've told me enough."

"You have no idea the power we hold. People like us, we should rule the world, not follow the pathetic Humans' orders. We're stronger than them."

"Strength does not characterize as an advantage." I am startled by my co-leader's voice. It's hoarse and scratchy. I take one, brief look at her, and am startled to see her sitting on the ground, legs folded, eyes bright. She clearly isn't that injured if she has enough power to speak out.

"Miss Smith, how nice of you to join us." Dylan gives another toothy grin. Eden does not lower her gaze from him.

"I suppose you've come here to kill us."

"Yes."

"And how do you plan to do that?"

Dylan stares at her, silent. I can't tell whether he's trying to form a comeback or simply trying to unnerve us. In the background I can hear the smouldering of HQ, the building that had once been a safe house. How many people had died in that explosion? One-hundred? Two-hundred?

I am caught off guard by the sudden lunging of our attacker and automatically shoot up into the air, catching the wind beneath my feet and flying ten feet off the ground. There is no need of this sordid attempt of escape because Dylan goes flying backwards, landing a few feet away from the force field that has appeared, on his back.

There is another flurry of movement before Mccready has a gun trained on the revolutionist. Inhumans surround our trio, only a small number compared to what we had, but more could still be out in the forest somewhere, lost...or they could be buried under a pile of rubble, stone, and flames, dead.

Dylan glares at his captor, shifting so that the gun barrel is not pressed against his head. Mccready adjusts so that it back against his temple.

"Good to see you made it out alive in one piece." The English accent of Graves has me relax, just the slightest.

I don't come down to the ground, though. I stare at the plethora of soldiers on the forest floor, examining them. Lily, Percival, Brad (miraculously), Bailey, Aidan, and Andrew, a few others, John Powers included. It fills me with immense hope to see most of the recruits safe. They all sport their own injuries; scratched faces, burned arms, singed hair.

"I can see that you're untrusting, I suppose that's a good sign," Graves states, sounding slightly agitated, glancing between the three astute, and battle ready, Inhumans that are Eden, Kaya, and I. Well, Eden's sitting on the ground, and immense of amount of anger clear in her eyes, attempting to restrain from moving. It's clear enough though, that, like me, she does not trust what has just happened. This could easily be another trap.

"How do I know you're really Graves?" Eden asks, her voice incredibly steady, the venom placed lightly, but clearly.

There is a lull in the conversation, the smallest of reservations from Graves, before he speaks in a rapid, quick-paced manner. "Eden Smith, 21, learned to fly at a young age, sister died three years ago from murder. Our murder. We did it. You were with recruits that were brought to the compound in the Amazon Rainforest two months ago, by me. You have been trying to become a special optic and are tasked with bringing down the Red Cats and saving the world."

"That tells me nothing," she states, looking straight at him.

Again, another pause.

"Many nights ago you came from your room, having had a nightmare, one of enough consequence that it made you unable to handle your emotions and to start crying hysterically. You stumbled through the corridors and down the hallways and ended up next to my room, where I was working with a colleague on tactical issues. I heard your sobbing and went to help you, I held you until you stopped. Then, you left, having not said 'thank you' or anything gracious of the sort, and I was left to go back to my work."

The silence that ensues is almost unbearable. Of course, I had seen the video feed, on the monitor, I assumed that this was what Eden wanted out of Graves. It is the only thing he, and him alone, could possibly have information of. Somebody would have had to have hacked into the security frame, and that's nigh impossible.

It's enough for Eden, for she stands up, a slight limp in her leg, and she gives Graves the smallest of nods, then looks up at me. "Are you going to stay up there all day?"