Picking A Payment

Morgianna and Fafnir did not return to the Sleeping Giant that night. Knowing that there were eyes on them as they left the guild.

It was called a guild but really it was an assassination group so she did not blame the members for not trusting.

They barely slept that night, knowing that outside their windows waited several shadows wanting to find out who they were.

When morning finally came Morgianna and Fafnir wasted no time going over to the guild wanting to pick a job and get out of that town. The board that held all the available targets covered a large portion of the wall in the bar, holding hundreds of names.

With each target there was a reward total, last known location, the crime the person committed, and a picture.

The stronger people could only be taken on by the guilds top members but even in the Bronze section the people were vile.

Murderers, rapists, corrupt officials who abused their power and people... they were all there. Each person was worthy of the death penalty that was put on their head.

Morgianna and Fafnir read in silence, each flyer making the knot in her stomach tighten. The things these people did make her sick.

Fafnir turned to look at Morgianna surprised at the look on her face. As if any moment she would vomit. "You don't have to be the one to kill them, I will." He thought the look was because she was thinking of having to kill someone.

She forced a smile and didn't meet his eyes. "I know you are worried, but it's not because I'm worried about killing this person... more worried about what would happen if they were allowed to live, honestly. They are scum, hurting others without any care. Good people die every day and half of them are because of people like the ones who are on this board." As she spoke her resolve grew stronger. She would find those who hurt others and make them pay.

Fafnir let out a sigh as he saw the fire return to Morgiannas eyes.

"How about this guy?" Morgianna broke his train of thought pointing at a man halfway up the Bronze list. Arnald Howser, a blacksmith. His crime was murder. In his town he had killed a teenage girl named Anna Periwink when she refused to marry him. He had stalked her for months, sending her small gifts that she never accepted, most of which he had made in his shop. According to the paper he killed her in a fit of rage, after she had slapped him.

There had been a witness, who told the guard who he had seen kill the girl but shortly after his wife died in a mysterious accident. He then changed his story to frame another man on the other side of town.

The person who requested the hit is a man named Mikal Jessup. Apparently once Anna had been killed Howser set his sights on Mikals daughter who was close in age to the deceased. He fears that his daughter will die if she does not agree to marry Howser.

Fafnir read through the information a couple of times, nodding his head as he read. The man did not have much strength in magic, but his job would be physically demanding. His violence toward those he became infatuated with would only end in death by his hands.

"If he has killed one girl for rejecting his advances then that father should be scared for his daughter. However I believe that even if she were to marry him he would become controlling and maybe even physically abusive. In turn it would probably result in her death regardless of her choices unless he is taken out." As the words left her mouth Fafnir could only stare in shock. Yes, he had thought the same thing, but he was a grown man with centuries of experience in the world.. she was a child.

He felt that once again she gave off a feeling of being too mature for her age. The determination he saw reflecting back at him was more fierce than grown men he had met in the past. He hadn't known her for long, but he knew that once she set her mind to something it would take an army to stop her... and even then she may still do what she decided.

All he could do was nod his agreement seeing how determined she was.

They pulled the paper from the board and took it back to where Killian still stood behind the counter. "This one." Morgianna slid the paper across the counter ignoring the eyebrow that had been raised in her direction.

Taking the paper Killian read over it before passing it back. "You may take this with you, make sure you get the right person. We do not accept mistakes." With those words he turned away dismissing them.

With paper in hand they left quickly. Now that the Payment had been chosen, all that was left was to collect.