Chapter 10: End~

End~

***

Cole's POV

"Let me in!" I growled and struggled furiously, pushing towards the operation room with all my remaining strength. I gritted my teeth in frustration as I feel the tight, uncomfortable grip of manly arms around my torso. "Let me go!" I hissed, as I thrashed my arms wildly about, like some mad man. I could feel the tingly sensation of my own sweat trickling down my forehead. My wet shirt was stuck to my body, and my hair was a mess of tangled strands.

"You can't go in," the doctor repeated for the millionth time, as he pulled me back with his muscular arms. I have no idea how he managed to keep his cool up until now, but he did. It was a huge surprise. I have been wrestling him, trying to force my way into the room Dianne's in for the past half hour. The result was rather disappointing... "Normally, you would be permitted to enter the delivery room during childbirth... However, this is a special case. She's in a very critical condition. A small error can result in death to both the patient and the child."

"Cole, I understand your feelings right now," muttered Dianne's mom, who's sobbing whilst pushed against her husband. He was gently stroking her hair and whispering into her ear, trying to calm her. Her entire body was shaking. "You're not the only one. We feel the same too! We want to go in as well, you know!"

"Please," I begged, panting. "Dianne's in there... She's in there!" I pleaded, desperate. I have to get in there. I need to see her. I must. She must be in pain right now. I have to be by her side, and comfort her. I need to see her one last time. What if she doesn't make it? What if I can't even say my goodbyes?

I shook my head. I need to stop thinking like that. I have faith in her, she's a strong girl.

Dianne, please wait for me. Please don't die on me... Wait till I say my goodbyes...

***

The door opened at last...

"Dianne!" I dashed towards the room, almost tripping.

"Wait," one of the nurses stopped me. "She's... In a critical condition. Her lungs have completely stopped. I'm afraid-" The girl paused and a look of sadness washed over her like a wave. "We're doing our best to save her right now, but... It's not working."

I let the words sink in one by one. I absorbed each one completely, as they stabbed at my heart like knives. I instantly panicked, and I felt the strength that I once had, drain from my legs. Strange, why is it that I suddenly can no longer stand? I quickly grabbed onto the wall for support.

"She's still alive, right?" I asked the question that I've been fearing all along. I mentally prepared for it, as an adrenaline rush vigorously pumped through my veins, making me rather lightheaded.

From the corner of my eye, I can see the shadows of Dianne's parents entering the room.

"She's alive right?" I repeated.

"She's stopped breathing, and she's not waking up... But... Her brain waves haven't completely stopped..." Mumbled the nurse under her breath.

"What about the child?"

"The child... Hasn't exited the womb yet."

"What?!" I screamed at her. "What do you mean by that? Wasn't she giving birth in there?!" Rage burned in me, and I could feel my body temperature rise. They were doctors. Weren't they supposed to save people?

"We weren't able to... She suddenly stopped breathing, and... And we were forced to stop in the middle. We're asking her guardians to decide whether to prioritize the patient's life, or the baby's. They're required to sign the paper, in order for us to proceed. If we don't hurry, both will lose their lives."