Let the Secret Out

"Korba, I'm telling you, I followed her scent up a tree and found her like this. I don't know what to do! Can vampires pass out? I don't know what's going on!" Jordan was almost in hysterics as he watched Korba sniff over Jessica to see if anything was physically causing the black out of a vampire. Jordan was right in thinking that this was unusual for a vampire. Without saying anything, or warning Jordan, Korba removed his shoes, pants, and shirt before transforming into a large, black wolf in the blink of an eye. That was the nice thing about being a werewolf by blood, you could transform whenever you wanted to once you were able to connect with your inner wolf. Nightwalkers were the ones that needed to wait for the full moon to come around before being able to transform. "WOAH!" Jordan yelled before hopping back away from the large dog. Sometimes he forgot that he was in an Acadamy where the beings that had composed myths were real. He grew silent as soon as Korba looked over at him with a sarcastic look in his eyes. "Sorry...I forgot," he said before letting Korba get back to what he was doing.

Korba nodded his head in thanks and went back to sniffing over Jessica. He started with her hair, pushing his muzzle into it so that her hair was cascading over his nose. He took in a nice long sniff before blowing out. Her hair floated up at the movement of air and he took that opportunity to move his snout so that it was no longer in her hair. He shook his head, trying to signify to Jordan that he wasn't getting a scent. He moved and started sniffing her ears and face. He shook his head again as he continued to move down her body. It was bothering him that he couldn't get anything off of her. After sniffing all the way down to her feet and still finding nothing, Korba picked up his clothes and carried them in his mouth to the adjoining room. When he walked back out to join Jordan, he was fully dressed again and in his human form.

"Nothing?" Jordan asked, fear becoming the most prominent emotion on his face.

"Nothing," Korba replied, shaking his head and looking down at Jessica in bewilderment. "It could be because she hasn't been hunting since the night before our very first expulsion hearing. I don't get it."

Jordan shrugged his shoulders and sat down on the floor next to Jessica. He gently reached out his hand and held her's, stroking it gently. He was so worried about her. When he would see her in the summer when she came home, she was so happy. She would talk about school just enough to let him know that it was one of her favorite places and that she enjoyed it. But, since he arrived, it was like she was living in some sort of Hell. He barely saw her after his first week there. Once she started taking on Royal training and duties, she stopped showing her face. It worried him to see one of his oldest friends pull away from everyone and everything.

"She stopped hunting?" Jordan asked once Korba's words finally began to sink in. "What do you mean? I thought she was going out hunting every night?"

Korba shook his head. "I was just talking to her about an hour before you brought her in here. She told me she hadn't been to hunt in at least a week. Vampires are scary when they don't hunt, no offence." Both Jordan and Korba let out a slight chuckle before replacing their small smiles with a solmn expression. They needed to figure out what was wrong with Jessica. "I'm at a loss. I could bring Apalo and Gala in and have them look at her and see if they can find something that I'm missing. Gala is a very powerful Vampire so she may be able to find something that I am just not able to find since I'm a different species. But I would prefer to not have to bring them in."

Jordan nodded his head before his face lit up. "Can you bring her to her room and just lay her in her bed? I have an idea," he said. Korba nodded his head and gently picked Jessica up as he watched Jordan disappear as the vampire rushed out of the room.

***

Korba wasn't worried about Jordan when the first hour passed but when the second hour had gone by, he started to worry. What was Jordan's plan that it took two hours for him to return? There was still no sign of Jessica waking up and it was starting to affect Korba mentally and emotionally as he wracked his brain to try to figure out what it was that was keeping Jessica under some sort of spell it seemed.