Chapter 7 ~ Speak of the Devil - Part 1

"Alright, everyone, listen up!" The trainer, a tall woman with furry armpits, a slight beard over her cheekbones, and gray-streaked curls, yelled over the noise of chatting and laughing throughout the large hall. The floor squeaked under the feet of energetic werewolves, sounding like overexcited rubber ducks.

"Pair up and make two lines," she continued in her deep voice, "we've got a special guest helping us today." Her tone turned solemn, like she was about to introduce the President.

Elena coupled with Rex, while Giulia stood in front of her brother. "Let's show these puppies how it's done!" Rex smirked with amused eyes, receiving in return a snort from a Black Devil wolf.

The first few weeks at Redwood High had passed smoothly - all the drama had concentrated on the very first day. A few glances were the only attention Elena and Giulia received and honestly, they had managed to become friendly with some of the Black Devil classmates. Rex totally blended in with the Redwood football team, quickly rising to become one of their star players. Black Devil students touch football - they saw it as the human equivalent of mini-golf.

And Marco, well... that was a whole different story. Whenever he showed up, whether he was coming around a corner or walking into a room, Black Devil students would stop talking and gawked at him, petrified, like he had some kind of dark cloud hovering over him everywhere he went. Sometimes they even bowed their heads a bit, like he was werewolf royalty.

Once, a young guy had accidentally bumped Marco and his books scattered all over the floor, and he was so mortified that he ended up fainting at Marco's feet.

At first, Marco didn't mind, pretending he wasn't affected. He was either ignoring them or scoffing, like a superior being. However, after some more episodes, he was totally pissed at those Devils students, at his unaware mate and, also, at Elena and Rex, who started to bow their heads ~ in a sarcastic way, to add fuel to a very pissed fire.

One afternoon, as a group of students walked towards Elena and Marco, they suddenly they veered off in the opposite direction. Marco let out a loud grunt and called his mate on the phone. His exaggerated complaints had Elena laughing so hard she had to lean on Marco's stiff shoulder to keep from falling over. She could just imagine a speechless, shocked face of a speechless, shocked Crucifero on the other end of the line, under his mate's attack. Marco's talent for overreaction could win him an Oscar.

The following day, the majority of Black Devil students were missing and Rex sarcastically said that Crucifero had put them in chains and enslaved them... Well, later on, they discovered his joke wasn't so far from the truth: they had undergone strenuous training, barely allowed to eat and rest the entire day. Marco held a satisfied grin on his face for the remainder of the day, but not because he enjoyed the suffering of his other fellow students. It was a caring gesture from his mate, even if a bit dramatic and violent.

"Is Crucifero the special trainer today?" Elena asked Marco who was fiddling with his phone.

"As if I knew what he does" He responded, rolling his eyes.

He was nibbling his nails — something he never did.

"Who could this special trainer be then?" Giulia joined in the conversation, her arm looped around her brother's.

"I heard from Crucifero that their Alpha is back. So maybe it's him?" Marco mentioned casually, checking his nails with too much interest. Elena and Giulia looked at each other and then back at Marco again. "Did Cruci actually tell you that?" Giulia questioned with a hint of suspicion. "Did he actually pronounce three words in a row?" Rex mocked from behind. Elena placed her elbow on Marco's shoulder. "Crucifero already said three words in a row, Rex! Leave Marco alone!" She said with fake seriousness that didn't go unnoticed by a grinning Rex