Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Jake, this doesn't seem like a very good idea...” I hear Alf's voice protesting something reluctantly. Probably my torture slash murder. Or Shannon's. Oh no, Shannon! How could I have not thought of her sooner? Is she okay?

“No, this is the only way. Look, we can fix up downstairs, make it all nice, but we have to keep them there. It's the only way to keep them from escaping.” Yeah, they definitely mean us.

“You know, I can escape anywhere. I've dug out of a prison, and the prison was on an island. I dug a hole into the ocean and swam to shore, I was under water for 20 minutes while swimming out from under the island and far enough away that they wouldn't spot me. Trust me on this, whatever you think of, it won't be enough. I will escape.” I finally speak up.

“No, you won't, now nighty night.” Jake says, stabbing me with another needle.

“Charity, wake up, Charity. Charity please!” My head is pounding, but it doesn't take me long to realize that it's Shannon talking.

“I'm alive, I promise. Please don't shake me though.” I groan.

“No, you really need to get up. You need to see this, and help me figure out where exactly we are, and how we get out.” She begs.

“Basement of the house! Let me guess, no windows?” I exclaim, shooting up.

“Yeah, no windows.” She mutters. I look around the room. There are 2 beds, a closet, some other minimal furniture that doesn't matter in this chapter and a small fridge, hopefully with not drugged/poisened food in it.

“You okay?” I ask, while still struggling to sit up. How many drug did they put in my system?

Wait, how many drug? Did I just think that? I think I answered my own question. A lot. A lot of drug.

“No, no I'm not okay! My mate just locked me in a fricken' basement!” She breaks down.

“Shannon, it's going to be okay. I don't think Alf wanted to do this, I heard him trying to refuse and disagree with Jake. I woke up for a few seconds, and then Jake injected me again.” I try to comfort her, but I don't know what to say. Words can't make this better. Nothing can make this better.

“It's never going to be okay!!” She shrieks, collapsing into my lap.

“You're right, it won't be. But maybe, after we figure out how to leave, things will be sort of alright. When we get out of here and buy plane tickets for somewhere very far away. We can find you another pack, or you can return to your own, since you haven't actually left.” I offer.

“But we can't leave! We'll never be able to leave!” She cries.

“Yes, yes we will. I can promise you that. We will.”

“But how?” Shannon looks up and me, seeming to have calmed down and now more on task.

“First, we need to rest. I'm hoping the food they gave us, if there is any in the fridge that is, isn't drugged or poisened, but we may not be that lucky, so we can't wait around for long, we'll lose our strength.” I explain.

“Bu-” Shannon starts but I interupt.

“No buts. Rest, then escape.” I order, climbing into the bed. Shannon joins me, and I don't refuse or argue, she's just had the worst day of her life when it should have been her best, she's allowed to need a friend. And maybe, just maybe, I'm allowed too.