Chapter Thirty-One

[Caleb's P.O.V]

In retrospect, to tell the crazy girl holding me captive that I didn't love her because she wasn't the girl she hated, was a really bad idea.

But the words were out of my mouth before I could stop them.

 Several things happened in rapid succession I barley had any time to react.

At the same time that Jenna jerked back and delivered me the slap of my life across my already tender cheek there was a scuffle beginning at the top of the stairs. Jenna went crazy after the slap that left my head ringing, lunging across the room with murder in her eyes. The goons had to hold her back from attacking Adrian who watched in stunned - dripping wet - silence. Her cheeks were ghost white, her eyes wide with shock and fear. Water slid down her face in an intimation of the tears she wouldn't let fall from her eyes.

"What's going on here?" Bellowed a familiar voice from the stairs. Attention off my burning cheek, I snapped my head up to the stairs and glared fiercely when I saw reddish brown locks bob down the stairs.

"Dad?" Jason grunted as he shoved his way to the front. "I just got your message and I got here as fast as I..." his voice trailed off when he saw Adrian dangling from chains on the wall.

His reaction was instantaneous. He blanched and his mouth dropped open. He rushed over to her but stopped dead when she flinches away.

"D-Dad?" I hear the slight quiver in his voice and I wanted to roar. Why the hell was this idiot acting like he didn't know what was going on? Didn't he know his sister spilled already? "What's going on?"

The big man who remained silent throughout most of it finally spoke up, moving out from between two of the largest hired guns. "You're sister's delivered...a little present."

Jason shook his head, his pale face turning an unattractive shade of green. "What did you do, Jenna," It wasn't a question, despite it's wording. He didn't turn to stare at his sister, just stared at Adrian who had turned her face away, as if she couldn't stand the sight of him. Wet blonde curls covered her gaunt cheeks.

Seeing the devastation on her face yanked at my heart. i knew how much she didn't want to believe it was Jason, but the prove before us was irrefutable. I wanted to kill the bastard.

Just as soon as I got out of these chains.

"Have you made your decision yet?" Jason's dad asked, a smug tone to his voice. 

Jason pried his eyes away from Adrian and looked at his father in wide eyed astonishment. "You can't be serious! This...this is why you kidnapped her? What is wrong with you?!"

Jason's dad waved a hand dismissively. "Don't act so disgusted, boy. You've seen worse than this before,"

Jason shook his head furiously. "No, dad. I've seen you do a lot before but this is nothing like the others. Are you insane? She's innocent for Christ sake!"

The man's face twisted angrily for a split second before he composed himself, smoothing down his prim tie and suit. "Don't yell at me, boy! If you had made your decision earlier, all of this could have been avoidable. Hell, you might as well have chained her up yourself."

As father and son continued to glare at each other, the more confused I got. What the hell was going on here? Did Adrian and I get caught up in some kind of family rivalry? His father was making it seem like Jason had nothing to do with this. 

After several long second of tense silence, Jason finally released a giant breath, his shoulder slumping. He scrubbed a hand over his rough face. "Let her go, dad. She has nothing to do with this."