Chapter Five

[Adrian's P.O.V]

Later that evening when I dropped The Cousins and Aidan back home (I couldn't believe the guys worked as mechanics, yet didn't own their own cars) I was left with Caleb in the passenger seat, bobbing his head and drumming his fingers on his thighs along to the radio.

Caleb was one of the biggest bad boy's I knew, with a reputation built on fear and respect.

Yet, even after all these years of friendship, I did not understand the man's fascination with country music.

Carrie Underwood was blaring one of her classics, one Caleb knew well because he sang softly under his breath, completely into it.

Caleb never sings.

Stifling a smirk, I let Caleb rock out while I thought about the day's strange events.

First, there was the discovery of the depth of emotion I had for the country music geek beside me. That was a kick to the chest, alright. But, I have to say at the risk of sounding like a cliché, I always knew I loved Caleb. Sure, I always thought it was a different kind of love- like a brother-sister kind - but I was crazy to have ever thought that. With the intimate touches  and moments we shared, I would be insane - or blind - to not have fallen for him. And it wasn't just because of his looks either - though there was plenty to admire in that department. Despite his rough looks and fierce façade, I knew him better than even his mother knew him.

Hell, I even knew the exact amount of beauty spots he had on his ass and hips (a misfortune - or fortunate, however you looked at it - timing mishap on my part which ended in a lot of cussing and fumbling and a lot of blushing).

I knew beneath the constant scowl and intimidating build, was a considerate, protective and loyal guy who, when needed, devoted his whole time and heart into something he believed in.

 And damn if that leather jacket of his didn't help his case.

Second...there was the note.

Instead of just dropping Caleb off at his place, I hopped out as well, determined to keep the calm, familiar routine we always did on Saturday nights. Wrapping his arm casually around my shoulder we shuffled our way over to the door.

Once inside, I let myself bask in the warm, loving ambiance Caleb's mother, Beck, created with her artistic fingers and delicate touch. The living room was decorated with photographs Beck had demanded I take with the camera Caleb bought me. There were family ones of Beck, Caleb and Kyle - Caleb's dad had long since left the picture - and tons of scenery landscapes I'd taken on the days Caleb and I would explore beyond the suburbia territories into the big cities and country sides.

My eyes lingered on the photograph of Caleb and me on one of our outings. A smiled pulled at my lips and I immediately made my way over, shaking my head absently when Caleb offered me a drink.

I traced the photograph tenderly, remembering the day it was taken.

It was a cool, breezy day, the sun beaming down, offering warmth to counter the frozen wind. After several hours of walking around the city, hours of Caleb bugging me about being hungry, or bored, or questioning me on everything, I had finally given up and offered to buy him off with ice-cream. Like the kid he sometimes was, he immediately jumped on it, promising not to complain for the rest of the day - only if I bought him a triple-scoop, of course.

We'd been standing in line, Caleb playfully nudging my sides as I tried to focus the lens on an older looking building with an elder couple snuggling on the bench just outside it. The sight was perfect...if only he'd stop nudging me, jostling my positioning.