Karaoke Confidence

Steven set up the karaoke machine on the coffee table in the living room and sorted through a few songs he thought you'd like. You weren't sure why you agreed to this, you've never sung in front of anyone before, except when you were little. Steven had also managed to coax Amethyst and Pearl out to sing with you guys. Pearl was particularly surprised to see you.

" Oh Steven, who is lovely lady?" She exclaimed, stepping into the living room.

" This is Y/n, Pearl. A new friend of mine. She's staying over for the night." Steven replied smoothly, plugging in the microphones.

" Well its wonderful to meet you, Y/n." She said, shaking your hand gracefully.

"..you too" you felt a bit shy.

" Alright guys, everything's ready. Who wants to go first?" Steven got up, rubbing his hands.

" Oh me! Ill go!" Amethyst yelled and grabbed a microphone. She entered the first song she saw. It was 15 Minutes (song above).

"Aww yeah here we go sister" Amethyst said before screaming out the lyrics.

What If I  told you that the world was gonna end
And you had fifteen minutes to spend with me or your friends

The gem bellowed out, causing you to plug your ears for a moment, but then you got used to the loud music. Everyone laughed and Steven quickly grabbed a microphone and hopped on the table, singing with Amethyst.

See at times like these with a change of heart
It was over and done before we had a start

"Cmon, P! Start singing!" Amethyst hollered but Pearl held her hands out.

"Oh nonono I'm not singing such a loud violent song" pearl said but Steven threw her a microphone anyway.

It goes on in my head and I'll wind up dead sing
Sha la la la la la la la la la

You giggled again when Steven pretended to play a guitar, his hair flopping all about his face. Steven then pulled you up on the table, encouraging you to sing as well. All four of you ended up singing the rest together, but you were still timid, singing softly. Steven desperately tried to hear your voice but everything else was too loud. When the song ended you flopped back on the couch.

" Phew that's exhausting" you sighed, ready to be done already.

"Nuh uh, girl. We barely heard you sing! " Amethyst pointed out. Guess Steven wasn't the only one curious. Pearl spoke up again,

" Why don't we choose a much calmer song  to sing next." Steven nodded and dug through the CDs. He took out the disc from before and inserted another.

" Oh no, guys I can't sing, really." You pleaded while the song loaded. You would hate to embarrass yourself.

" Nonsense. There's no way your singing is bad, your voice is so soothing." Steven reassured you. The music started and you took a deep breath.

I can't keep pushing this down any deeper

Amethyst gave you a cheesy grin with two thumbs up. You gained a bit of confidence.

Why do I keep trying if I can't keep her
Every move I make
Is just another mistake
I wonder what it would take because it feels like there's a hole inside my body
Like there's a hole inside my heart

Pearl began clapping with the music, and Steven continued to listen. Your voice was so light and soft, something you don't often hear. He loved it and didn't want to distract from it, though he wanted to sing with you.

It's like this feeling is gonna consume me
If I keep waiting for this thing to start
Oh~
I feel like I'm all gummed up inside
It's like I'm all gummed up inside

"Woo hoo" Garnet said, leaning on the frame of the front door. You hadn't even noticed she returned.

"Yeah Y/n !!" Steven cheered and easily lifted you up and twirled you around. You blushed heavily, realizing what you said on the phone about him being ' a weak little man' was an extreme understatement.  Pearl and Amethyst also cheered behind you guys on the couch.

Steven placed you down, still holding you in his arms. "You sounded amazing." He had a huge grin on his face and it made you smile sheepishly as well. 

" You should enter into the talent show this year, y/n. People would love you!" Amethyst said and Steven gasped.

"That would be so cool! There's one way you'd definitely become a people person. What better way than to sing in front of a crowd!" That made you nervous. You backed away from him, and a pang of guilt seized your heart seeing his hurt face.

"Oh no. I cannot do that, how humiliating!" You wanted to crumple up in a little ball. Steven held his hands out to you again.

" We could sing together? Just think about it,okay? I know Beach City would love you." He said and you nodded. Yeah right. I've already made up my mind.  You yawned.

"Welp. I'm out for the day" amethyst cut in, and made her way inside the temple.

Pearl nodded as well. " It's quite late you too, you should head off to bed now."
You agreed but then realized a small dilemma.

" Oh right, where am I sleeping?.. I guess I'll take the couch-" Steven stopped you with a hand on the shoulder.

" I wont let you do that. Plus the couch isn't comfortable enough to sleep on all night. We can just share my bed- " pearl gave him a suspicious eye " aaaand build a wall of pillows between us." He finished. You nodded again, that seemed fine. You followed Steven back up the stairs again before Pearl caught your attention.

" No funny business, you hear me?!" She called after you. You blushed again, of course not.  Steven smirked but didn't look back.

"Yes ma'am."  And you too vanished up the stairs. Pearl looked over to Garnet still leaning against the wall.

" You don't predict them doing anything, right Garnet?" she asked.  Garnet straightened up and paused, adjusting her visors.

"Eh. Not really."

😗 There's chapter four! I know it's a bit shorter than the others but I wanted to get it out of the way. Next chapter is gonna be reeeally fun to write. See ya!