Prologue

prologue

prologue

Cedric Diggory let go of the large glowing quill and looked up to see an older couple, and a woman, who was older than Cedric, but was still quite young, who appeared to be their daughter. Cedric couldn't recognize any of them, and wondered if Dumbledore had sent him to the wrong house.

"Wotcher, Cedric," said the familiar voice of Tonks, one of the few visitors that Cedric had during his stay at Grimmauld Place.

"Tonks?! What happened to you? You look terrible," Cedric asked the short woman, who had eyes that were sunken in, and mousey brown hair that reached her shoulders.

"Wow, thanks Ced. Can always count on you to be honest," Tonks laughed, a bit of pink shimmering in her hair. "There's a war happening, Cedric, in case you forgot. It takes the life out of you, constantly being on edge."

"Right, sorry."

"Don't worry about it. These are my parents, Cedric. Andromeda and Ted Tonks." Tonks gestured towards the older couple, and they came into the light. "Mum, Dad, this is Cedric Diggory."

The woman, Andromeda, Cedric could recognize right away, even without the introductions. Andromeda Tonks looked exactly as Sirius had described. Tight brown curls that cascaded past her elbows, her heavily lidded brown eyes were not a cruel as her sisters, and she had ferociously thick eyebrows on top of them. Though she had similarities to her sister, the murderous Death Eater, Andromeda gave off a happier and lighter aura than that of Bellatrix Lestrange.

"Hello, Cedric, it's a pleasure to meet you," Ted stuck out his hand and Cedric shook it hard.

"You as well, thank you for accepting me into your home. It means a lot," Cedric said, but his smile didn't reach his eyes, as it usually did.

"Cedric, why don't you come with me and I'll help you get settled into your room?" Andromeda requested. Cedric shook his head and followed her down a short corridor with three doors that stood ajar. One had a bathroom inside, and the other two were bedrooms. Andromeda lead Cedric to the further bedroom of the two and gestured for him to enter. "I know it's a bit small, but-"

"It's great. Thank you," Cedric said.

"Cedric, before I leave you to get settled, I'd like to give you something. I was rummaging through old boxes, and found something I thought you might want, considering how close you two were." Andromeda pulled out an already framed picture. It was covered in dust, but the glass had been wiped clean. Inside the frame, a young Sirius Black stood happily with a young Remus Lupin, though he looked as rough as ever, the two of them had a liveliness to them that Cedric hadn't felt in a long time. He smiled as tears threatened to fall down his cheeks.

"Thank you-" he choked. "I love it."

Andromeda smiled, and stepped backwards, out of the room, and gave Cedric one last sympathetic smile before leaving him. As Cedric watched Sirius and Remus laughing and pushing each other around playfully, he swore to himself that he would live the rest of his life to the fullest.