Chapter 1, The beginning

It was a cold dark night, wind was blowing so hard I thought the windows where going to break. It was exactly 10:05 when over the radio we heard our commander say the magical words " Bravo team you have a green light." My heart was pounding as we pushed through the front doors of a small house but nice blue house in the middle of Russia. This was the moment I have been waiting for since the rumors of this mission came up. It was said to be the most important mission there has ever been in the god awful war. We entered the house two guys went up the stairs and i pushed through the kitchen, on high alert, keeping my head on a swivel looking for any and all danger. There he was sitting in the middle of the small living room. The look on his old face was of pure disgust. Now all there was left was to pull the trigger and it would be all be over, the war, the pain and suffering. I was just beginning to put pressure on the trigger when the worst thing possible could have happened, the power cut. I was so mad I chucked the controller at my bed. Three hours of playing the newest Call of Duty game wasted because of the stupid storm.

Just after 10:10 I got a text from my friend Mac seeing if I could go over to his house for the night, luckily his power was still on, so I packed an overnight bag with the essentials, started my snowmobile, put on my coat and was about to walk out the door when I got another text "Hey bro grab your rifle, we are going hunting tomorrow!"

This was one of the ups of living in Alaska, there is always something you can do outdoors, this time it would be my favorite activity of hunting. I quickly ran up the stairs grabbed the key to the safe, and grabbed my dads old .306 gun he used when he was in the military. It was the last thing he gave me before he was torn from my life when I was 14, from a terrible crash that also took the lives of three other people. It was his favorite rifle, and has done me well.

It was around 10:45 when I got to Macs house. I received the usually greeting from his parents. After my dad died and my mom always is away for work, they became my second set of parents. The great part about them is they would never question why I was coming over at close to 11 at night. After a short conversation with them Mac and I went up into his room. Macs room was one of the coolest places in the world. He had everything a teenage boy in Alaska could want. It was a large room that had pictures of his favorite memories on the wall, along with the first buck he ever shot. He had a big bed, and right above it was a long bow his grandpa had made him when he was 4. I set my stuff in the usual place where I would sleep, and started putting my things on his couch. Thats when the first joke was shot out from macs mouth "dang man I asked if you wanted to spend the night, not the week." This was the usual joking Mac did. Mac was an only child, or at least by legal standards. He would always tell me that I was the better version of a brother. Mac is the type of guy that was always there for you when you needed him. He had a great humor, and always know what to say. But he was also very smart. If you asked him a question he wouldn't answer until he was positive he was right.

For some reason when we were younger he would get made fun of because of this. I guess kids found it odd he would take so long to answer simple questions. Thats how me and him met. We were in third grade and he had just transfer from New Mexico. He always has been a skinny and short guy, but he was tiny in third grade. A few kids were bullying him after school, so I did the logical decision at the time and punched the biggest kid in the throat. This landed me in detention, but it was worth it. We have been best friends ever since, and even though he was still smaller than most kids our age he had gained some muscle so no one messed with him that much.

"What time would want to wake up tomorrow princess?" Mac asked after a friendly game of Madden.

"Up by four in the stands by five?" I replied.

"Sounds good man, sleep tight." was his final reply of the night. After sending a final text I turned my sound off and fell asleep.

The morning came faster than I thought was possible. Before I was out of bed Mac was cleaning his .308. He said that it was his good luck charm to only clean half of the gun before a hunt. I personally think he is just really lazy and just doesn't want to finish cleaning it. We did our normal morning routine. He showed while I made us breakfast and coffee, then when I showered he made lunch. We both ate together then started getting all of our gear together. It would take about 20 mins to do this if we were working fast. We loaded our rifles, the our pistols we used as protection from wolves and other animals. After putting our camo on we headed out.