11

We pull into the Right Arm's camp just a few hours later. My legs are so stiff and store I'm not sure I could run if I needed to. Hopefully we'll be safe here, at least for a while.

We pile out of the two cars, staring down at the camp below us.

It's pretty big, tents pitched around the outsides in rows, fires dotted throughout. People are everywhere, going about such normal things it's almost weird.

"They've been planning this for over a year now," Harriet says, leading us down a slope towards the camp, "all of this," she gestures widely "it's all for us."

"Lucky you found us when you did," Sonya adds, "we're moving out at first light. Where's Vince?" she turns to a man walking past.

"Somewhere over there," he waves to our right.

"Who's Vince?" Thomas asks.

"He's the one who decides if you get to stay."

"Sounds like a bloody charmer." I mumble, Minho snorts besides me.

"Thought the Right Arm supposed to be an army," he says as we come to a large tent at the edge of the camp.

"Yeah, we were," says a man is coming out of the tent, tall, middle aged, with scruffy brown hair and a beard. "This is all that's left of us." we watch him as he approaches, and I notice a gun at his waist. I guess everyone here carries weapons. "A lot of good people died getting us this far," he places his hands on his hips, scanning our faces critically. "Who are they?" he asks Harriet.

"They're immunes." Beside me, Brenda's breathing is slightly wheezy. I look at her, her lips are blue tinged and there are dark circles under her eyes. "Caught them coming up the mountain." Harriet continues.

"Did you check them?"

"I know this guy," Harriet points to Aris, "I trust them."

"I don't." says Vince, "Check them."

Beside me, Brenda's eyes roll back her head and he collapses to the ground, panting.

"Brenda!" Jorge grabs her, pulling her up into his arms. "Talk to me, Brenda!"

"I'm sorry," she wheezes, "I'm sorry."

"What's going on with her?" Vince asks, inspecting a bandage on her leg.

"I don't know," Jorge looks frantic.

Vince pulls back the bandage, then jumps back cursing and pulling out his gun.

"We got a Crank!"

"No!" Thomas yells, jumping in front of her and waving his hands at Vince.

"Step back, step back!" the older man yells, gun cocked and loaded.

"Listen," Thomas shouts, "it's just happened, she's not dangerous yet."

"You shouldn't have brought her here!" Vince still has the gun pointed at Brenda.

"I know, I know."

"We let Cranks in here now," Vince continues, "the Safe Haven doesn't last a week!"

"Yeah, I understand," Thomas says, "Just listen to me. I told her you could help, there's gotta be something you can do."

"Yeah," he says, "there is. I can put her out of her misery."

"No, no!" Jorge is being restrained by two armed men, but still tries to fight free.

"Vince that's enough!" a woman's voice makes us all turn. Across the camp, a woman in her forties is running towards us, shouting at the men to let Jorge go. They do as she says, but Vince still points his gun at Brenda.

"She's infected, doc," he says, "there's nothing we can do for her."

"No," she's looking directly at Thomas, "but he can. Hello, Thomas." Thomas looks just as confused as everyone else, how does she know his name?

"You know me?" he asks, and the woman frowns.

"Interesting. Makes sense they're put you in the Maze. Though I must admit," she kneels beside Brenda, "I thought they'd kill you after what you did."

"What I did?" he's still frowning in confusion, and I can't blame him. Nothing this woman says makes any sense.

"The first time we spoke," she takes one of Brenda's hands, "you said you couldn't take it anymore. Watching your friends die, one by one. The last time we spoke," she smiles, "you gave me the coordinates of every WICKED compound, trial, and lab."

"He was your source," Vince looks at Thomas.

"We couldn't have pulled all this off without him." She turns back to Brenda. "Take her to the tent. And get these guys some warm clothes. It's the least we can do."

I watch as the men who were holding Jorge before pick up Brenda, carefully carrying her away.

"Thomas," the woman says, "come on. I need to get some blood from you." She leads him away, leaving the rest of us standing, confused as ever.