5

Alright, this is kinda a long chapter. I just want you to know that it took a lot of google searches and five youtube clips of the escape scene to get this half done, then I gave up and downloaded the movie off google drive.

If you want to know how to do that, it's pretty easy. Just type the name of any movie followed by "google docs" into google and the first link is it.

Anyway, hope you're enjoying this! xo

Pretty soon, the guards come to escort us back to our rooms.

Airs goes first, then there's a break while other kids are taken away in groups.

"Sub-"

"Yeah, I'm coming." I say, cutting the guard off. "Later," I salute my friends, following the guard out the door.

It's odd, with so many kids being moved around the building, anyone would think I'd run into at least one. But no, it's as if the whole place is deserted. It's honestly a little eerie.

Just for the heck of it, to break the creepy mood, I flip off  a camera as I'm passing it, eliciting a sigh from the guard.

"You're a weirdo, you know that?"

"Well thank you!" I say, getting another sigh. Then a thought occurs to me. "Wait, how do you know?" 

"24-hour audio surveillance in the rooms, video everywhere else. I had a shift this morning. Do you like having conversations with yourself?"

Shuck. That could be dangerous for us. I'll have to tell the others tonight.

"Yeah," I say, taking the excuse and running with it, "I find it entertaining."

"See?" the guard says, and I think I detect a smile, "weirdo."

He or she holds the door for me, and I walk inside, turning and waving goodbye. The guard waves back, letting the door fall shut. Maybe not everyone here is so bad. Still, what they're doing to those innocent kids isn't ok, and I can't let that happen to my friends. Although, I have a sneaking suspicion that's where the other Gladers we haven't seen have gone.

Just for the sake of the guards listening to me, I sit down on the bed and tell the story of Little Red Riding Hood.

My watch reads 7.00 when I hear it.

Tap, tap, tap.

I crawl under the bed, easing the grate off.

"Boy, am I tired!" I say loudly, slapping the mattress so it sounds like I lay down. "Goodnight, whoever's listening!" I wriggle into the vents where Aris is waiting, a confused look on his face.

"What was that for?" He asks, but I just shush him.

We crawl through the vents, Aris in the lead, until I'm sure we can't be heard.

"They have 24-hour audio surveillance in the rooms. You saw the cameras outside, right? Those are surveillance for the hallways."

"Damn." He says. "Oh well," we set off again, "we'll just have to be quick."

We reach the boy's room in no time. Aris taps on the grate, and Winston's face appears under the bed.

"Keep talking," Aris whispers, "they can hear us." Winston nods, easing off the grate and standing up.

"I wish there was something to do in here," he complains, and the others all mutter agreement. "It's so boring, we need some action, you know?" I pray that they'll take the hint soon. I see his hand reach under the bed again, grab the grate and take it out with him. "I want to talk to (Y/N) and Aris, if only we were in the same place."