3

When I get to my room, I go straight to my bed. I lie there, just staring up at the ceiling, not really thinking about anything in particular. Soon, my thoughts drift to Chuck. I remember his small, slightly chubby body lying on the ground, the stain on his chest, his pale skin.

"No." I say firmly, then feel crazy for saying it. There's nobody here, who am I talking to?

I think of Thomas, how broken he must be. Chuck was like an annoying younger sibling to us all, but him and Thomas were extra close. I want to see him, to tell him it's ok.

I wonder where Teresa is, I miss her too. I miss everyone a bit, I just wish I wasn't alone.

Tap, tap, tap.

I freeze. Listening.

Tap, tap, tap.

I'm not imagining it.

"Hello?" I say into the room.

Tap, tap, tap.

"Hello?" I jump. Someone answered me.

"Who's there?" I swing off the bed, standing in the middle of the room.

Tap, tap, tap.

"Are you alone?" the voice asks. It's a boy's voice, slightly thin and a little shaky.

"Yes." I answer. If they're here to murder me, I can fight them. I'm good at that, fighting.

Tap, tap, tap. Scraaaaaaaape. Clang!

I jump backwards, they're under my bed.

With a slithery, shuffly sound, someone squirms their way out from underneath the bed, standing up and dusting themselves off.

"I recognise you," I say, "you're that kid from this morning. You were sitting by yourself."

"Yeah," he says, "I saw you come in alone."

"Who are you?" I ask, curious about this stranger.

"Aris," he extends a hand and I shake it. "I've been here five days. They separated me from the rest of my group, and I haven't seen them since."

"Other Mazes." I whisper, and he nods. "I'm (Y/N), they took most of my group, but I still have a few of them."

"The guys you were sitting with, yeah." He says, "I know where they are. I've been exploring the vents, you can get anywhere in this building."

"Why?" I ask bluntly.

"Because I don't trust them, and I don't think you do either."

"That's about right," I snort.

"Then come with me, I need help."

I cross my arms. "What am I helping with?"

"There's a system lock, I know how to get in, but it needs to held open or an alarm goes off."

"After I help you," I say, "if I help you, will you take me to my friends?" He nods. "Right, let's go."

I follow Aris through the vents, crawling most of the way. We replaced the grate in my room, but I still feel my heart pound at the thought that someone will find me gone, and realise where.

When we get to the locked grate, Aris pulls something long and thin from his pocket, carefully inserting it between the door and the wall. It clicks, and hisses open, allowing him to crawl through.

"Hold it open." He whispers, and I nod, propping one knee against the door.

Through the door, I hear low voices, a woman I recognise and Janson.