Chapter 9

The shout ripped through the Tonik household like a hurricane, it was loud, angry, and all who heard it thanked whatever god they prayed to that the name wasn't theirs that had been screamed.

"Caroline!"

Estella was in a fit of rage and anyone who knew the girl knew that because she didn't get angry often, when she did all hell broke loose. The sixteen year old threw open the door to her older sister's room, clutching the morning paper in her hand.

Caroline sat up groggily from her bed, blinking at the light and sudden waking from what had been a peaceful sleep. Adrian stood up quickly, trying to wake himself up after Estella had so unexpectedly burst into the room. He found himself almost immediately next to the young girl.

"Miss Estella please calm down, you're going to wake the whole house."

"Get out of my way Adrian! I don't care who I wake up, I can't believe you did this Caroline!"

"What did I do again?' Caroline asked her thoughts still blurred. Rather than answering Ella threw the paper down , into Caroline's lap, she glanced down at her and immediately recognized the photo on the cover.

"They published it. Adrian! They actually published it, Ella, this is a good thing."

"I don't care what you think you did not have my permission to use Garrett like this! You think I didn't read that article? They're going to come looking for him because of you!"

"No they won't El, you're overreacting."

"You think so Caroline?"

"Estella I know so."

"Well I don't care what you think, you're not allowed to talk to Garrett. I want you to know that because of you he won't be allowed to see any of the other slaves, I don't want you to get to him."

"Ella don't punish him for something you think I did."

"You've made a huge mistake in crossing me Caroline, I hope you know that," with her final words Estella left the room, slamming the door shut behind her. Adrian shut his eyes for a moment, still trying to wake up, then looked up at Caroline.

"She's mad."

"She'll get over it, if you have the chance tell Garrett I'm sorry okay?"

"Yes mistress."

"I can't believe they published it."

Adrian simply nodded his response, not knowing what to say. He remained where he had been standing by the door until he had a thought.

"Would you like breakfast? You could eat on the balcony, you haven't done that in a while."

"You're right, that sounds good."

With a nod Adrian walked out onto the balcony to make sure the table was clean before making his way down to the kitchen. The cooks were there preparing breakfast for the eighteen Toniks; Adrian grabbed a plate off of the counter and began making breakfast for Caroline. The kitchen staff scowled and glared at him as they did most mornings, jealous of his elevated position. He was nearly finished when Garrett walked into the room.

"Do you have anything I can take for mistress Estella yet?" He called to the cooks from across the room. Adrian left the plate he had been making and approached the younger man.

"Garrett."

"I'm not supposed to talk to you."

"Please just one moment."

"No, I don't want to get into more trouble for something I didn't do."

"Mistress Caroline apologizes for that, that's all I wanted to tell you."