Chapter 5

Caroline rolled over in bed, stretching as the morning light pulled her from what had been a peaceful sleep, but she was ready to take anything the world could throw at her, she knew she could survive it so long as Adrian was at her side.  Dangling her feet over the edge of the bed she glanced over her shoulder at him, he was sleeping still, as he was most mornings, the sunlight didn’t have such an effect on him.  She smiled down at his peaceful figure, loving the way that the sun fell on his face, illuminating his features.  Grabbing her camera Caroline took a picture of him sleeping, setting her camera on the nightstand she gently ran her hand along his cheek, trying not to wake him.  She admired his features for a moment before departing the room to take a shower as she did every morning.

As she was in the shower Caroline recollected the night before, wondering to herself why he had kissed her back.  Was it because he had been trained to do so? Or was it because he actually cared for her?  It would break Caroline’s heart if his had been taken by someone else, but she knew that he would never tell her if it was. Running her hands through her wet hair Caroline speculated how she would ask him, she knew that she could never bring herself to pull rank when it came to a relationship, she wanted him to desire her as much as she desired him.  It was times like these that she hated Adrian’s near perfect training.

Stepping out from under the hot water Caroline dried herself off got dressed and dried her straight brown hair.  She had made her decision, she would act as though nothing had happened, if Adrian brought it up she would know that he cared for her enough to pursue it, if he did not, that would be her answer.  Making sure she looked presentable to take pictures for the royal family Caroline opened the bathroom door and began preparing her camera, but not without noticing that Adrian had disappeared from the room.

It was a matter of minutes before she heard the door open behind her and his voice, more timid than usual.

“Mistress?”

“Hm,” she replied turning her head.

He was standing just inside the door with a tray of food in his hands, head downcast.  He set the tray on the table by the couch and knelt next to it.  Caroline wearily sat down in front of him.

“What’s this for?”

“I want to ask forgiveness.”

“For what?”

“I forgot my training.”

“What do you mean?”

“Last night, I was supposed to do,” he hesitated. “More for you. I’m sorry I didn’t”

Caroline grasped Adrian’s wrist and pulled him up to sit next to her on the couch.  He sat on the cushion, head downcast, awaiting her reply.  She lightly touched his chin and he looked up into her eyes.

“Adrian do you remember four years ago, when you first told me how scared you were when you came to Seba?” He nodded as she continued. “I made you a promise that day that I would never do the things that they had done to you.  It’s a promise I intend to keep, I didn’t kiss you last night because I wanted more, and I’ll admit it was against my better judgment to do so but I couldn’t help myself.”

“So you’re not going to punish me then?”

“No,” she laughed sitting back against the couch, “I do want to ask you a question though, will you be entirely honest with your answer?”

“I will.”

“Why did you kiss me back?”

“I could never resist you.”

“That’s all?  You were trained to do so therefore you did?”

“Yes...No.”

“No?”