Ch.23

"I thought hedgehogs usually hide in bushes or piles of leaves, not on the rooftop." 

Eddy turned around and saw Brett gasping next to the doorframe. 

Crap, I knew he is gonna find me. Eddy was sweating nervously. And I owe him an apology for yelling at him and being ridiculous. 

"...I am not a hedgehog." He quietly murmured in an irritable tone though his rosy cheeks and small smile totally betrayed him. 

"Well, you are not entirely wrong," Brett felt a sense of relief as he finally found Eddy. Brett knew that Eddy likes to hide himself on the school rooftop when he wants to be alone as students are actually not allowed to enter this area.

"What do you mean?" Eddy raised one eyebrow.

"You are not just a hedgehog. You are my little hedgehog." Unexpectedly, Eddy was pulled into a warm hug. He shivered as he felt Brett's lips brush his ear when they pulled away.

OK, so he doesn't seem mad at me...at least for now. Eddy relaxed a bit. He knew that he really needs to apologize to Brett but his tongue and lips were unable to move as if they were cursed by some magical spelling. 

Eddy took a deep breath. 

"Brett, I–"

"Eddy–"

They stared at each other for a second, both seemed confused and surprised, then burst out laughing. 

"Should we do scissors, paper, rock to decide who goes first?" Brett asked jokingly.

"Nah, you always cheat so lemme go first this time." Eddy ignored Brett's protesting and cleared his throat, "I am so sorry, Brett. I am an idiot. I should not yell at you at all but...I was just so mad at you in the moment and I don't know why..." He kept rambling until Brett interrupted him.

"Would you still be mad at me if I tell you that this girl actually wanted to ask you for help?" 

"What?" Eddy's eyes widened in surprise. "She could have just come find me and–"

"Well, she totally could if you don't just vanish immediately after every class," Brett chuckled. "And she may not have to come talk to me before lunch, and maybe I will not be late, either. Hmmmmm..."

Eddy still blushed though Brett was obviously joking. They both knew that Eddy always avoids doing boring small talks or awkward conversations with people he does not really know (or care) by escaping and hiding on the rooftop right after classes.

"...I am so sorry, Brett. I am just an idiot, a big idiot." 

"Hey, it's OK." Brett patted Eddy's back to comfort him. "I am sorry for being late and ignoring your text and calls. You must be worried."

"Yeah, kind of. But it's alright. I'm not really mad at you right now." Eddy decided to ignore his weird feelings of seeing Brett with a girl...He did not really want to talk about it. "What were you trying to tell me earlier? Now it's your turn."

"Oh gosh, you should have just let me go first. Now I have lost all my courage." 

"I don't mind sharing my courage with you." Eddy smiled and gave Brett a quick hug.

"Uh, I'm not quite sure where to start but I've been thinking, uh, maybe you were mad at me not just because I was late but...well, I am just making assumptions and I could be totally wrong but..."

"You are making me confused right now," Eddy laughed. "Do you want to tell me or not?"

"...Alright," Brett sighed. "Were you being jealous of Toni?"

Oh. Wow. Eddy froze. He was again betrayed by his red face, and Brett could also see pure embarrassment in his eyes. "Uh..."

"Well, you don't have to answer this but I just want you to know that, uh..." Gosh this is freaking hard. Brett was sweating a lot. Eddy still did not say anything instead of staring at his shoes with pink cheeks.

Maybe I should just say it out loud without thinking too much?

"Well, I always think you are cute, Eddy." Brett said bluntly, which only made Eddy blush more. "You are always there for me and we've been through a lot of things. I just want you to know how much I lov-uh, I mean, you are very special to me and I hope you know that. I, uh...I..." 

Brett was so overwhelmed by his thoughts that he did not noticed Eddy was slowly approaching him until his face was cupped by Eddy's warm hands. 

"I love you, too, Brett." Then he felt Eddy's soft lips pressing against his.

Oh. Alright then.

***

"Did you tell Jordon about our...thing?"

"No. I thought you told him?"

"Shit. He must have figured it out by himself."

"Well, does that bother you?"

"I mean...I just don't know how he thinks about us being...together."

"I'm sure Jordon is cool with it. Even if some of our friends are not, will that scare you? I thought someone gets plenty of courage?"

"I guess you are right. At least I have the gut to say 'I love you' to my boyfriend."

"...Goddamn it, Eddy."

TBC.