When You Were Young- The Killers

The Truth About Boys

((a/n I DONT LIKE THIS ONE AT ALL I WAS RUSHED TO WRITE IT BC LIKE I SAID THIS WAS A PROJECT orz orz MY APOLOGIES))

Dear Rena,

I received your letter in the mail two days ago. Yes, your mother and father are doing quite well, and I'm sure you'll get messages from them soon. I've been taking good care of your little pup Maxine, though she did piddle on the carpet once last week.

I'm glad to hear you're having a fun time in Taiwan. I was a little nervous when you told me you'd be flying all the way into Eastern Asia on your own, but you have made your point; you're a grown woman, already 22, and you can do anything you want and go anywhere you please. I had just one main concern with something you said in your last letter, and I know you'll probably be upset with me for being anxious about it, but as the only member of our family who is close enough in age to you to understand what your feelings, I hope you'll just forgive me for caring.

You mentioned a boy. Please, when you read this, feel free to roll your eyes and curse my name for being so paranoid, but my intentions are well and I hope you'll respect that. I'm concerned about this boy named 'Chien,' as you called him, for a number of reasons.

First of all, you need to remember that you are in Taiwan temporarily. Once your studying is done in the hospital and you can return to the States, do you honestly expect a strange boy to agree to coming back with you? And furthermore, how well do you even know this boy? You claim that you love him and that he loves you, but he could just be playing you for a foolish foreigner, you know? Just another prize. There are men out there like that, Rena, my dear, and I don't want you falling for them, no matter how sweet they talk.

Maybe this all really is just paranoia, but you can't say I don't have my reasons. I've been with as many boys as I have girls, and it's a given that I'm suspicious of any lad with a handsome face and gentleman-manners, especially one that come calling on my little cousin.

Rena, I feel as if you're more naïve than I am bitter. You grew up so fast, but you're still clinging to those little girl ideals you always told me about when we were just little tykes growing up on a Georgia orchard. I want you to think about how much you 'love' this man, Rena- this 'Prince Charming' you think has come to save you- then I want you to think about home. I want you to think about where you grew up, and how soon you'll be coming back here, to the place that you once lived.

Other than that, I stay safe, and stay focused. This trip is important for you. Tell this 'Chien' guy that your super strong, dangerous cousin says hello.

Your Loving Cousin Kenny