Chapter 26

© Carey MacLean, 2012

Chapter 26

Murphy’s Law had struck again.

“What the hell is going on Connor?”  Xavier demanded.

“Get away from Mika and get the fuck back here Xavier,” his friend told him in a tone that bordered no argument and total panic.

“Is it the cameras?  Has he found any of them?”

“No,” he told him, “but he knows that you’re together right now.”

“What?  Fine.  I’m out,” Ryans flipped his phone shut and pocketed it.

“What is it?”

“He knows we’re here together,” he told Mika.

“It’s a public place.  What’s he going to do, forbid you from doing your job?”  She asked with so much disdain and contempt towards their enemy.

“He can make our lives a living hell,” Xavier pointed out.  “I have to go.  He’ll be on his way so I’ll head back and find the Chief and act like I had come to deal with him directly.  You never saw me, okay?  If anything happened to you because of today, I couldn’t live with myself.”

Mika was the first to walk out of the tiny conference room.  The minute she did so, the PA system beckoned her to the Emergency Ward.

Let the mayhem of this day commence, she groaned.

Fifteen minutes later, she heard her name and the chills ran down her spine.

“Mika!  Where are you?”  She heard a second time.

It was Peter.

In a curtained cubicle, examining a patient, she could tell that Makey was in a rage.  She could hear curtain after curtain being pulled until there was no doubt that hers was next.

When he pulled the material to the side, nearly ripping it off of its gliding hangers, he was fuming so much, she could have sworn steam was bellowing out of his ears.  Mika’s patient jumped up with a start and she patted the front of the elderly gentleman’s shoulder to assure him that everything would be fine.

“Mika,” Peter looked at her infuriated.

“What do you want?”  She asked in a defiant tone.  “Can’t you see I’m working?”

“Where is he?”

“Where is who?”

“Don’t play coy with me, Love,” he pushed on.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.  Now, if you don’t mind-” she began but the bastard never let her finish.

“Where’s your ex?”  He asked through gritted teeth.

“How the hell am I supposed to know?”  She huffed.

“He’s here, in the building and you expect me believe that you two haven’t had a rendez-vous of some sort?”

“Now you listen here Peter Makey,” she stepped towards him and forced him back and out of the cubicle.  “I’ll be right back Sir,” her patient nodded.  “I’m a Doctor.  I work in a hospital.  It’s a very public place.  If a cop has a job to do, him being my ex-fiancé or not has no bearing as to why he’s here.  Take a look around.  Do I look like I have time to deal with a quick romp in this chaos?  Now get out of my ER before I have you thrown out.  I’ll see you at home Peter!  Good day!”