Chapter 29

© Carey MacLean, 2012

Chapter 29

The look on Connor’s face didn’t bode happy and supportive in her opinion.

“Have a seat,” he motioned to the bed and grabbed the chair in the corner and positioned himself in front of her, effectively blocking any chance of her escaping him.

“What’s going on?”  She asked him, her voice lacking confidence as it shook.

“I’ve come across a few things in my closing and I need you to set the record straight with me,” he told her.

“Okay.”

“I want you to be honest with me Mika.  No lies, nothing left out.  I want the details.  Every last ugly one of them,” he finished.

“Y-you’re scaring me Connor,” she tried to shrink away but he grabbed her wrists and pinned them to the mattress on either side of her.

“I know it’s you.”

With that one statement, her world felt as if it were crashing down around her.  On what should have been the happiest day of her life, she saw that a life in a concrete and iron cell was more likely than one in the suburbs chasing around her future kids.

He knows.

Despite the panic, a sense of relief had managed to sink in.  She let out a long breath and looked down.

“I want to hear all of it,” he said calmly; so much so that she had the courage to look up at him and see why he hadn’t blown up at her and shackled her immediately upon entering the room.

Guilty, was what that look on her face read like.

“But you didn’t kill the last three did you?”  He made sure that she knew exactly the list of names that he wanted her to elaborate on.

She shook her head confirming his suspicions were right.

“Peter killed the last of them.  W-what’s going to happen to me?”  She mustered the courage to ask.

“Nothing…  Yet,” he told her.

“Where do I begin-” she said as more of a statement than a question.

Before she could start, there came a knock at her room’s door.  Saunders opened up and let himself in.

“Are you distracting the bride when she should be getting ready?”  His boss asked him.

“No Sir,” Connor began but was interrupted.

“Good.  Now hurry up in here.  The groom seems to have come down with a case of jitters.  I think he could use his buddy or better yet, a wife,” the man told him.

I bet, he remembered how he’d felt the day of his nuptials; it was a miracle that Xavier had managed to keep him calm at all.

 “I’ll be out there trying to keep Ryans out of here and rushing her to the Justice of the Peace,” he said as he let himself out.

When he was sure that Saunders had left, he nodded for her to start her story.

She listed each victim, what she had done and told him that the photos that he and Xavier had seen had been of her either arriving or leaving some of her victims behind.  She went into graphic detail as to how she went about to confecting the poison.  Not only did she explain how she committed her crimes, she went into great depths as to the reasons why.  The more she spoke, the more he was beginning to understand her.