Chapter 8: Ties that Bind

Maybe I did die, maybe I am in some alternate universe, a universe if I was to survive that night with Valarie, OR I am in a coma and I'm dreaming. I'm probably just insane I mean a sane person wouldn't be walking to a slaughter house at night to confront some mysterious guy, and accuse him of being a ghost. I was either going to look insane and kill Valarie for putting such thoughts in my head, or I'll be meeting my second ghost.

   To my surprise Jordan was standing in the front yard under some oak trees, why was that even a surprise? But he was in a heated argument with some girl. "You heard what the reaper said about Grim, he's coming here," Charlotte swallowed, they both wore the same clothes, I think I had my answer. I was furious what kind of game were they playing? I could have charged at the two and give them a piece of my mind but i stayed, maybe they'll say something of importance. Show could I be so stupid, all the signs I overlooked...

   "I dont get the part about the song she's supposed to sing, or the borrowed soul. How does that tie to her?" Jordan asked his arms crossed and lips pressed in a hard line.

   "I dont know but apparently you're her night and shinning armor, so dont fuck this up for us."

   Jordan, I dont know what to call him really, tilted his head in annoyance, "Thats funny I didnt seem to get that vibe from the riddle," Jordan spat. He seemed stressed and a bit wildly, his ashy blonde hair tousled in a mess, his blue irises swirling with flecks of green. Ive never seen anyone's eyes do that.

   "I didn't need a damn riddle to tell me the Grim is bad news for all of us."

   "Maybe he should find us, we shouldn't be here," he wasn't wrong but if this Grim was a threat to them it was a threat to Valarie.

   "I know everything," I said stepping out of the shadows behind the weeping tree, "At least I know you both are dead."

   "Shit," Charlottes lip turned to a slight snarl her southern accent thick and sweet, "You're a smart little thing."

   "I'm not dumb."

   "Nor are you scared, you sure you're not dumb?" She asked taking a step forward, I didn't move I stood my ground.

   "Why would I be scared? You two wouldn't be my first encounter with the dead."

   "Valarie," Jordan said putting everything together.

   "Ive got my secrets," I shrugged, "What I want to know is why you lied to me?"

   "And tell you what? Hi my name is Cullen Jordan Mackay, I am dead what's your name?"

   "Well when you put it like that-"

   "I sound crazy," he finished for me. "Maybe we should talk about this inside?"

   He stepped forward but this time I jerked back, "No I dont trust you."

   This seemed to irritate him as his jaw twitched and his stormy eyes clouded over, "I would never hurt you that's insane. Were not safe out here, trust me when I say that Blair." When he said my name a series of shivers erupted over my entire body.

   "I would listen to him," Charolette said flipping her curly blond hair off her shoulders.

   "I'm assuming you're the adulterer? Slept with your betrothed's best friend, real classy," I spat.

   "You've got a real attitude in that tiny body of yours, so much rage. You paint a pretty picture like the rest of us but you're just as broken and ugly as I am," with that Charlotte walked off. "You two can get caught up by the reapers, I'm going inside."