Chapter 19: Evermore

I left the school by myself in a weird haze I couldn't run from. I decided to walk home instead of having to answer questions I didn't want to. I called Heavenly to make sure she was alright, she chose to ride home with a friend. I passed my house after a few long seconds of debating and went to Mackay Mansion, I needed to talk to Valarie. So much has happened and I needed to just vent... like old times. At this point I didn't care about Aden and their relationship I'm the last person to judge after all.

I was hoping I wouldn't run into Cullen, after all what would I say to him? This whole time, thirty years he's been running from peace. Self sabotaging himself over what? Aden and Charlotte! Even if he explained himself it would never make sense to me, why must he lie? Was there a certain appeal the way I ate up his lies, believed him, trusted him.

I found Valarie alone sitting on the old waterless fountain, staring off into the woods. "Hey stranger."

Valarie looked up at me her deep green eyes glazed over, she got up and ran into my arms. Her skin against mine was cold and distant, causing shivers to erupt through my hands. "Cullen told me everything,"she said as I held her lightly.

"Is he here?" I asked wearily.

"He's been gone all night."

"Grim told me he could cross over whenever he wanted," I gulped. When Valarie didn't seem surprised I pulled from her grasp, "Did you know?"

"Aden told me," she crossed her arms as she chewed on her bottom lip.

"And you didn't think to tell me?"

"I didn't know how close you two were not till tonight, when I seen you and him kiss. I was going to surprise you tonight," she explained playing with her shirt. "I know it was risky but I had to see you."

"You can't leave here ever again," I warned her. "With the Grim in town you are even more danger then before."

"Aden said I have nothing to worry about."

I hardly knew the guy and I was already tired of his name, "Yeah well he's wrong." I walked back over to the fountain and took in the chipped mermaid, thinking to myself. "How much do you know?"

"I know you are a banshee, I know the only reason I'm still here is because of Cullen. You might be upset with him right now but just remember he's been alone for thirty years. He didn't want to disappoint you."

"How would you know that?"

"We talk about you a lot, mostly because I miss you but because he likes to hear about you. If I'm not mistaken, that's a guy falling in love."

I meet Valaries soft eyes, "Were just friends."

"Friends don't kiss the way you and Cullen did, the way you look at each other is everything but friendship, even Charolette is green with envy."

"Maybe," I shrugged. "But I kissed Bryce, and if I'm to be honest everything is so much more simple with him."

"That's not love," she scuffed.

"I'm not trying to fall in love," I grumbled. "My life has become so different now, I see ghosts all the time. And when I sing, when I feel death it just reminds me that I'm just as dead inside. Cullen is better off without me."

"That's not true," she said weakly. "But I know no matter what I say you'll just keep pushing away. You said you wanted to find love like your parents, and you have that just fingertips away."

"Cullen doesn't belong here," I sat down. "You don't belong here, Aden none of you really." I looked up at her, "Do you love him?"

"God no," she paused. "The Grim though, he makes my heart leap out of my chest," she swooned.