Chapter 25- Goodbye

• Dedicated to All of my readers

I watched Hogwarts fade into the distance, and felt my stomach twist into knots. I could feel my eyes getting watery, and I scolded myself for being so emotional. Jade and Willow, sitting across from me, seemed perfectly happy about summer vacation.   I reached or the necklace that entwined my throat and felt sick again. How could anyone ever want to leave? But soon, the castle had faded out of sight and I had to let myself forget. It was easy, talking and laughing with jade a willow and letting the goodbye’s that would soon be coming slip from my mind like they would never have to happen. But my heart still felt heavy.

We had been on the train for a couple of hours when the trolley pulled up, and I spent the last of my pocket money on sweets, happily sharing my boatload with jade and Willow, trading chocolate frog cards and stuffing our faces with pastries, daring each other to eat the grossest looking colors of Bertie Botts every flavoured beans. Of course, I ended up with the one that tasted like gasoline. That can’t have been good for me.

It felt nice, to be sitting and laughing with my friends again, after the excitement of the past few weeks, it was good to let go and smile. I was sick of reading news articles and trying to bring people back from the dead. At least, for now.

Willow didn’t know very much. She had seen the necklaces, appreciatively complimenting us on the pretty boxes, but she hadn’t seen what was hidden inside. Jade and I had made a silent agreement to tell no one what had happened, and both of us were dead set on keeping that promise. Willow had grown since the beginning of school, she was still miniature of course, the inch of so she had gained was nothing on the several inches I had lengthened, and even jade was growing. Sometime this semester, she had cut off her long black hair, leaving her with a wavy, but gorgeous, pixie cut. It flattered her, making her pretty eyes look bigger, and leaving her even more gorgeous. I regretted not seeing her more.

Some of her friends from Slytherin popped in to visit us, a quiet, thoughtful looking girl named Eva, and a taller, comically nerdy looking one named Isaac. After everything I’d heard about Slytherin, they weren’t what I was expecting, but it was nice to meet her friends. Noah, from my house, made an appearance as well, siting and talking and stealing two of my chocolate frogs.

He’d grown too, if that wasn’t obvious already. His dirty blond hair lay lower on his face, tickling his ears and falling in front of his eyes, his eyes were a dull green. His face was still round and young and looked just a childish as it had on the first day of school. But he was almost as tall as me now, which was terrifying. He seemed pleased by it though, constantly remarked that he only needed a couple of inches before he could finally have the opportunity to look down on me. He was kidding of course, but it was annoying nonetheless. He was generally annoying, but I think I could become friends with him, if I tried. He didn’t stay long in our compartment however, soon leaving to go eat their own treats with the other boys that were from his dormitory.

Jade’s face was the only one that was still familiar to me. Probably because I’d watched it change all year, I’d gotten used to it before it could be shocking to me. She was short, and slightly pudgy, with a friendly face, silver eyes that shone, and long black hair that was pulled back in a pretty braid, stretching down her shoulder, with wildflowers braided down it.

The train began to pull to my halt, and my stomach twisted into knots. I looked out the window, and saw the familiar sights of London flying past as we entered kings cross station. I felt like I was going to be sick. We couldn’t be back already could we? I wasn’t ready to say goodbye! But the time had come, the train slowly coming to a stop. I stared out at kings cross station, remembering the first day of school, when I had been led here by George, meeting people on the train. I felt like crying, hot tears hiding in my lashes.

We grabbed our bags, heading out down the long line of students exiting the train. Jade was next to me, looking dreamy, lost in her own thoughts. I’d promised myself that I’d save the goodbyes until we were off the train, but I had to hold myself back from throwing my arms around her and crying. We stepped down the stairs, wind hitting our faces as we got off the train. We stood, alone in the crowd of students, both of us half looking around for our guardians, both of us not wanting them to come just yet.

There was a tap on my shoulder, and I whipped around to see Willow standing behind me, her arms open, and I fell into them, her short arms wrapping around my was it, my hands grasping her shoulders. “Bye,” I whispered in her ears, letting that one word carry all the things I wanted to say. She hugged me tighter, and I could feel her tears dripping into my shirt.

“Bye,” she whispered back, before letting go, and turning around, to where her parents were waiting. I watched her fade through the crowd, arm ready to wave one final goodbye, but she didn’t turn back at me, and soon she was gone. But soon enough, Noah was there, hugging jade while she, too cried, rolling his eyes at me behind her shoulder. I forced my tears in, trying to look strong as I gave him a quick hug, a slap on the back and a grin.

                “And then there were two,” I whisper quietly, and jade turns to me, looking confused.

“What?” she whispers, sniffling, wiping the tears from her red eyes. I smile at her, stepping closer.

“Nothing,” I say with a half-smile. I lean in, my arms entwining around her soft frame like they were meant to be there. She hugs me back, the tears flowing again. Sobs so loud no words could come out of her mouth. “Bye, jade” I tell her softly in her ear.

She sniffles, trying to catch her breath while she looks at me with wide eyes.  “Bye!” she cries, looking sad. I smile at her.

“I’ll see you next year, right?” I ask her, nudging her side. She smiles.

“Of course!” she says, but her face turns serious as her eyes meet mine. “Listen, Ruby,” she says rapidly, “Don’t do anything silly, okay?” her eyes land on the necklace wrapped around my neck, and know she worries about me. “You’ll stay safe, right? And you’ll write?” she asks, her eyes begging. From behind her I watch a familiar face break through the crowd, George watching me with a fatherly smile. And I turn to her with a grin.

“I promise.” I tell her with a smile. “And I’ll write every day.” I hug him once more, and then begin to walk away. I walk right up to George, and he watches me with moving, grinning, eyes twinkling. I wrap my arms around him and let myself cry. But the tears are happy, and his hug is warm and tight.

“Hey kiddo,” he says, smiling. “You all right?” he asks, his eyes still smiling, but his mouth, looking worried. I nod, wiping my eyes.

“Yeah,” I say, wrapping my small hand in his. We walk together through the station, and I don’t turn back until we’re right at the wall. I see jade, trapped in the tight embrace of her two parents, a smile as wide as her face, and I know she’ll be alright. We exit the station, and we walk out to where we’ll apparatus back to the hospital, where I’ll spend my summer bothering George and his students, trying to make potions and learn spells, back in my little room in the corner of the hospital.

I look up to the sky, the sun is there shining down at me. I know, tonight, that there will be a full moon. But somehow, I’m not dreading it anymore, the weight in my stomach gone, the feeling of an outcast abolished by a year with friends. Caring friends. And maybe next year, I’ll tell Willow, maybe the year after I’ll tell the whole school, but for now, just accepting it is all I’m asking for. I look back down with a smile, and George bumps my hip.

“So Ruby,” he stars with a knowing smile. “How was your year?” he asks. I turn to him with a grin, and instead of answering, I laugh.

-----------------------

Wow.

Well, it’s finished, and honestly I can’t believe it. I’ve been writing this for a year, and it’s finally over it seems like just a week ago when I planning the idea with my friend!

I really hope you guys enjoyed it, because I did too, and I had a lot of fun writing it. A reminder that this book is co-written with kitty808, and she’s done an amazing job.

The first chapter for the sequel will be coming in a couple of weeks, first I need to think of a name!

For that last time, if you guys liked it, please vote, comment, and fan! You’re all completely amazing. :D <3

-purplecat