Chapter 19- In The Library

“I swear, I’ve seen it somewhere before,” Ruby was saying, flipping through the pages of a large volume, her voice quiet. She’s already had several dirty looks shot her way by the librarian for talking to loud. Jade nodded along, a book in front of her, sitting on the large table, next to the two small pieces of stone, the object of their search.

It was the weekend, and the two girls had spent their Sunday in the library, searching and searching for some information on what they had found. They couldn’t ask anyone on about them, because that would bring up some uncomfortable questions about where they had found the stones. So they searched on their own, looking in book after book for a symbol that Ruby could swear that she had seen somewhere before.

So far, they had had next to no luck. A few obscure references, some maybe’s, but absolutely nothing concrete. And so they continued to look, in books that were more and more desperate then before. Random volumes with random subjects, hoping for even just one little hint. Jade might have given up the search a while ago, but Ruby couldn’t gibe p now that she had stared. And she was so sure she had seen it before…

“Ruby?” Jade asked, her voice a quiet polite whisper. The librarian hadn’t even noticed that she was here with Ruby, she was so quiet. “I haven’t found anything else. We should probably head back to the dorm. I have some homework to finish…” She trailed off. Ruby’s expression was still determined, but there was something else there.

“I think I f found something!” Ruby said excitedly, leaving Jade unsure about whether or not Ruby had heard what she had said or not. But Jade agreeably walked over to her friend, peering over her should to see what exactly she was pointing out.

“Something about ‘Hallows’…” Ruby said uncertainty, pointing out the fading and ancient text. “I don’t’ quite know what it means, but I think I’ve heard of the Hallows before too.” She said her face filled with concentration, the wheels in her mind were whirring trying to make the connection, trying to make herself remember. Jade furrowed her eyebrows, uncertain.

“Maybe…” she said, not really in the mood for thinking too hard. “I just don’t know, Ruby. Is it really that important? They can be pretty without us knowing exactly what this symbol means,” Jade said reasonably, picking up the two pieces up off the table, and fixing them together, examining the now familiar symbol. Ruby sighed.

“But I’m curious now!” she said, half-smiling. But she put the book back on the shelf. “I really want to know what it means!” she said, stubborn as always. From behind the bookshelf, a masculine voice asked,

“What what means?” Ruby whipped around, and Jade peering through the books, as Alec, from Gryffindor walked around the corner, looking curious. Jade scowled. He looked at them, expectantly. “Come on then, I want to know? What have you two been doing here all day?” he asked them. Ruby glared at him, her hands quickly curling into fists.

“You were spying on us!” she growled, her eyes flashing dangerously. Alec looked down, stepping back, knowing when to back off.

“Not really, I just, accidentally over hard you two talking, and I just-” Jade didn’t give him the chance to explain, cutting off his poorly worded excuse.

“You accidently overheard us, all day?” she asked him, suspicious. His cheeks turned red.

“It’s no big deal... I was just curious!” he said defensively, his voice growing lid enough to earn him an annoyed ‘SHH!’ from the librarian. He quieted down, his voice shrinking to a whisper. “Or is it a big deal?” he asked them, his eyes flashing.

“It’s nothing, Alec, get out of our faces,” Ruby snapped, turning her back on him.

“I know it’s something about the Hallows!” he said tauntingly, making Ruby pause. She turned back around. Alec was smiling, an arrogant grin that Ruby knew all too well. “You really don’t know about them?” he said scornfully. Ruby glared, her temper flaring.