chapter eight

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𖣔༄a decent boy____•____

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𖣔༄
a decent boy
____•____

Bella stayed in the kitchen at the remainder of the night. Her mother and her sister Violet along with the Nightfalls had attended the meeting that William Barry was organizing in honor of Nathaniel, who would express in detail any doubts they had regarding the gold. Her mother went out of sheer courtesy to the Nightfalls as she could not risk giving them a bad impression, let alone at that time of the utmost delicacy they had come to engage in.

Finding herself in the solitude of her home with Sydney in a deep sleep, she had no better idea than to perform certain experiments in the kitchen. The gooseberries and blackberries were perfectly clean and undone, ready for her to decide what to do with them. Agatha and Amy, the head maids, had gone home early so the kitchen was in full disposal.

The first stage: senseless observation. She watched the row of impeccable glass jars on the counter with curiosity and uncertainty of how she would manage to fill them with the grace of exquisite jam to taste. She lifted each one of them and examined them in detail as if trying to decipher their function, although she already had it very clear. Second stage: looking for the recipe among the little books of her sister Caterina for almost half an hour. When she finally found it, she went over it about ten times to make sure she hadn't taken any instructions wrong. She bumped into the counter several times unintentionally trying to memorize it in detail and it was a real scene to admire. Stage three: preparing the kitchen for the masterpiece. She put the apron on her skirts, tied her hair with a bow, and prepared the utensils with great care. Finally, she deigned to light the ornament although fear took hold of her at first and even she did the ridiculous act of using a pot lid as a shield against a possible fire. She prepared the mixture with the same care that Caterina used to put. Finally, she served what seemed like a succulent content inside the little jars, until Misty, her mother's cat, made an appearance in the most inopportune way possible. She dared to quickly go into the kitchen, causing Bella to trip over it and consequently the precious contents to fall on the floor. Finally, Bella let herself fall on the floor, her face soaked with tears and sweat that had moistened her hair and face giving her a terrible appearance.

The kitchen door opened revealing a very unfriendly face when it came to Bella's realization.

"What are you doing here? Came to criticize one more of my exploits? Go ahead, make fun of it" she grumbled, who no longer had the strength to fight for her dignity.

He walked at a brisk pace, one that emanated from him that he came in peace. He let himself be seen in the light of the little chandelier that lay beneath the ceiling of the comfortable kitchen. His face revealed nothing but a concern she had never imagined she could witness in those soft features of his.