Chapter Fourteen

*Rosalie*

The fact that Athena had said that shocked me. She was supposed to be Zeus' favourite child and even she had turned against him.

Although I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. Things had gone too far for the Goddess of Wisdom and Battle Strategy to just sit idly by.

"I'm sorry Zeus," Hera told him, "I wish it didn't have to be this way."

"Like hell you didn't!" Zeus spat, "You've wanted this from the beginning!"

"No I didn't," Hera assured him, "Despite what you may think, I never wanted it to come to this." She sighed and continued, "I spent years thinking that maybe you'd change your ways and start taking your job as King seriously, but instead you carried on as usual and left me to pick up the pieces. So I did. I ruled Olympus in your absence and I will gladly do it again. I'm sorry Zeus, but you are not a worthy King anymore. You can either surrender the crown to me willingly or I will take it from you. This is your last chance."

"I will never surrender my crown!" Zeus growled. Hera sighed.

"So be it," she whispered and then turned to Athena, who handed her a sword. Hades and Poseidon forced Zeus to kneel before Hera. Hera approached him, holding the sword.

"You think you can scare me with the threat of death?" Zeus smirked, "You don't scare me Hera! None of you do!"

"They may not, but I believe I do!" a voice shouted. There was a flurry of shadows and Nyx appeared and Hera stopped walking. Hades nodded at Nyx in greeting and she did the same to him. Zeus gasped as he noticed the Goddess of Night.

"Nyx," he said nervously.

"She gave you every opportunity to do this peacefully and you didn't listen to her," Nyx sighed, "Instead you insulted her."

Zeus didn't say anything.

"I give Hera a fraction of my power so that she may wield the sword and destroy Zeus," Nyx declared. I watched as a bit of black energy flowed into Hera. She turned to Zeus and began walking towards him again.

"Don't watch," Soren told me, not wanting me to see the brutality that was about to take place.

I buried my face in his chest as I heard Zeus beginning to plead for mercy.

"Please Hera...my love—" he began, but Hera cut him off.

"Don't call me that!" she growled, "You never loved me! You wanted my body and when you got what you wanted, you tossed me aside like I was nothing! That's not love Zeus!"

"Please Hera," Zeus pleaded, "I'm sorry. Forgive me."

"It's gone too far for that I'm afraid," Hera replied. I heard the sound of the sword slicing through flesh and instantly knew what had happened. Hera had killed Zeus. She had killed the man she had once loved. I raised my head from Soren's chest and took in my surroundings. Zeus' body lay on the ground and his golden blood stained the grass. Poseidon and Hades embraced their sister in law.

"The crown is yours, Hera," Poseidon told her.

"You didn't deserve someone like him," Hades told his sister in law, "And I hope someday, your heart heals enough for you to find someone worthy of your love."