Chapter 23: Hospital Beds and Cafés

Chapter 23

NIALL'S POV:

Is it just me, or do I have the wildest dreams?

Finally, I felt a soft, springy mattress beneath me. Problem was, I knew it wasn't my mattress, so whose was it? I shuffled a bit. There it was again, the throbbing pain in and on my head. Is there a reason why I get headaches when I wake up? Wait. I was awake before. It was real. Lerie standing behind Sophie with that ugly piece of wood, and I dove to save her.

My eyes snapped open, only to make me think that it was a bad idea to even open them in the first place. I was so tired. You know, getting knocked over the head twice in one day can drain you just a bit!

The first thing I saw was a girl sitting on a chair to my right. She had attempted to snuggle up with her knees to her chest and resting her chin on them. It was obvious that she was asleep. Her light brown hair fell to one side and she looked relaxed. But she also looked tired too, very tired.

So I decided to maybe try and go back to sleep. I turned back to lying straight on my back and closed my eyes again. Maybe someone will explain everything later. Oh my god, Lerie. The last thing I saw was the boys pinning her to the ground, and then everything went blank. What happened to her?

I felt bad for waking up Sophie, but I needed answers. Turning around again, ready to tap her softly on her leg, I saw her eyes flicker open first. She looked around the room slowly as her eyes battled her to stay closed. Eventually, her eyes landed on mine. We both sat there in silence, just looking at each other for a second or two.

"Hi." I said, smiling.

"Hi." She replied, showing me a small, sleepy smile. Her knees fell from her chest as she placed them neatly on the hard floor in front of her. I was beginning to hate this hospital. I had been here twice in under a week. But the same old, unclean smell remained. Even though a hospital had to be clean, I couldn't help but smell it all the time. Stupid hospital.

"Where's Lerie?" I asked curiously. Since I wasn't tied up to a chair again and Sophie was beside me, I could only have assumed that she wasn't going to hurt us anymore.

"The police are dealing with her. I was up all night answering questions." She let out a yawn and slid a hand down her face, followed by widening her eyes. It was definitely clear how tired she was. "I still can't believe our lives were on the line like that..."

"Neither," I agreed. My head was throbbing and the pain was becoming almost unbearable. Damn, that girl hit me pretty hard. And twice! That bitch. Though the only thing that mattered to me right now was that we were all okay. But that didn't change the conversation I had with Sophie in the house. Well, if you could call it that. I was the only one that really spoke.

"So what's gonna happen now?" She asked.

"I don't know." I replied. She rolled her eyes - obviously annoyed that 'I don't know' was my reply for just about every one of her questions. Slowly, a smile appeared on her face and she stood up from the chair. She was wearing new clothes today. Some pale blue jeans and a loose black T-shirt. She never had to dress up in front of me. She always looked perfect.

She moved closer to the bed, "Move over." She motioned her hands so that I could move further back on the mattress.

"Why?" I questioned her. I was in a hospital bed. What could she possibly want in this bed? I chuckled to myself.

"Just move." Sophie playfully pushed my shoulder back. I obeyed her and shuffled backwards in the bed, even though my head was spinning furiously. She pushed the sheets back, slid her shoes off and climbed into the bed so that her face was inches from mine. I gazed into her eyes and felt my heart racing faster. I'm guessing that her feelings mirrored my own...