Seeing Light: Into the Night

| chapter 41 |

a/n: i'm sorry it has taken me so long to update!! this story is almost over!! i hope you all have enjoyed this series!!

- - - - - -

"What do you mean it died?!" Vida yells at Chubs.

"Is it the gas?" Dean suggests, tossing his jacket on the seat of his bike. "Gas station's right there."

"There should be plenty of gas!" Chubs throws his hands in the air.

"Could it be the engine?" Liam suggests.

"Well if you're so smart, why don't you fix it?" Chubs yells at Liam.

If anybody should be fixing the car, I volunteer Dean. He's always had an interest in machines - when we were younger, at least.

Cole just stands next to the car with his arms crossed next to Dean. They both argue over how to fix the engine, and every few seconds or so Ruby shares her unneeded opinion. 

It smells in here, Clancy speaks to me in my head. And these zip ties hurt.

That's not my problem, I respond in my thoughts. A soft wind blows past me, its cold kiss shivering down my spine. Has it always been this cold?

Come on, Amara, let me out. We might be here a while with those two idiots arguing. I can keep you company. Clancy speaks to me again.

No... Dean is here. I don't want-

I am twice the man your brother is now, Amara. I am not afraid of him anymore. Clancy argues me.

Forget it, Clancy!

Princess... my darling, please? He continues to beg.

Or what? I tease, knowing this isn't what I want.

It feels like all the oxygen is ripped out of me as images of my most intimate nights with Clancy flash in my mind. This girl I see lying down, allowing herself to be so vulnerable to such a monster does not even look like me.

He may have complete control over my body, and although the fire that burns when he touches me causes pleasurable suffocation, he will never steal my brave mind and soul - even if there is a chance he owns those too.

Let me out right now or I put those dirty images of you in everybody's mind. Clancy threatens. Your brother and side piece would love to see that.

"Fine! Fine!" I say sort of loudly, running to the trunk and try to open it.

"Woah, Amara, what're you doing?" Liam questions.

I slide my fingers under the lid, using all my strength. I can feel the trunk melt at my fingertips very slowly, smoke evaporating into the sky. If this sets on fire, I could never forgive myself.

The image of Clancy being surrounded by fire at East River comes into my mind, but I know he isn't doing this to me. I am. I allow myself to be weakened by it.

"I want t-this open!" I grunt, the words barely audible.

"What? Why is this import-" Dean begins.

I cut him off with a desperate scream. "Him! I want him! I want this open now!"

"Who are you talking about? Hey, somebody pop the trunk, please?" Dean continues after me. He gently reaches for my back, but Clancy's voice makes me flinch harshly and pull away.

Say it... tell them all who I am. Remind them that you are mine, princess. Let them know who is the one you will always run to.

"Clancy! I want Clancy!" My voice starts to break as I plead. I don't the control over me. Clancy has abused the privilege of speaking to me, but as long as we are alive, I will always be tied to him.

"Open the trunk." Liam orders sternly.

I hate that I sound so desperate for him, but I can't decide if this is fake or not. Whether or not it is the fear of losing Clancy or the fire inside showing through the glass of my Red eyes.

"Wait- Clancy Gray?" Dean speaks up. "The President's son? The orange?"

Nearly all noise evaporates as the trunk finally opens, Clancy crawling out. With my already smoking hands, the plastic securing his wrists melts and falls to the ground. It feels like nobody is watching as Clancy wraps his arms around me roughly. There's smoke in my lungs and I think the muscles in my body might give out.

"Clancy Gray?" Dean's voice has more concern in it than anger.

Clancy turns and sighs, his hand never leaving the small of my back. "Hello again, Dean. I thought you were dead."

"You're going to wish you were dead." My brother threatens, but Clancy just laughs.

Oh God... what have I done?