Seeing Light: Pilot

| chapter 33 |

His name was Clancy Gray... and he meant more to me than I think he knows it. For years, I have spent loving him and cherishing him, always putting him first. How naïve I was to think he would do the same for me. I thought I was more than just a trophy girlfriend... I may be dangerous, but who is to say he's not as dangerous as myself?

We are both strong as we are flammable, easily burned to nothing. East River was our safe place from the flames beyond it, but he was the reason it burned in the first place. My heart broke when our home of six years was scorched to nothing but ashes of our distant past. Once so golden, now just rust.

I find that I am still struggling with my self identity. Am I Miss Westwood, a governor's daughter? Am I Amara, somebody's girlfriend? Somebody's sister?

I must be something to somebody to anyone but myself.

In the wind, I hear voices and those are the voices of those lost in the darkness. One of those voices belongs to my older brother, Dean. Where he is now, I don't know. I remember the look on his face when the soldiers split us up all because he was Gold and I was Red. I remember the confusion spilling into his face when they handed him the rubber gloves, so that no one would be hurt by him.

That's why the camps existed. To bring our colors into the light so that they might be used as a task than known as who we are.

Oranges might not have that pleasure as the other colors, but imagine being Red. There are no other Reds that are like me. I am the only one who is calm enough to control my abilities.

For almost seven years I have been able to control it. For almost seven years I have let the ashes take over of the raging fire inside of my soul. I have been given the chance to run away more than anybody else since I.A.A.N. first occurred. I should have run the first time when I had the chance, but I was too young to understand how dangerous the world is when you're the one in charge of it.

So now, as our story comes to a close, I will ask you... would you run from everything you've known for love?