chapter 7

It was a few days since the gathering and the glistening light of the sun lit up the shimmering snow that had fallen over night. The warriors had returned to their den for the first time since oakclaw got greencough and the apprentices had been gifted with a good night's sleep for once. Emberpaw struggled through the coldness with a mouse in her mouth. She was trying to find the rest of her catch but the snow had hidden all familiar landmarks and scents.

Stumbling in the cold, she heard a faint mew. She strained her ear and followed the sound to an area where the trees were denser. She pushed through to see a pool of glistening water, surrounded by long grasses. Areas of it had frozen over leaving a crystalline shimmer and icicles on the trees reflected a rainbow of light over the water.

There, sitting amongst the beauty, was Briarheart. Not wanting to startle her, emberpaw gently brushed against the trees, creating a soft crackling. The brown she-cat turned quickly and saw emberpaw there. She relaxed again and invited emberpaw over.

'it's beautiful here, isn't it? I found it when I was an apprentice. It was a secret place where I could stay without the negative comments' she mewed. Emberpaw nodded, padding over as she watched the water rippling in the gentle breeze.

'does Dappledpaw know about this place?' she asked, laying down her mouse. Briarheart shook her head.

'no, I sent her off on a solo hunting mission. If she does know about it, she hasn't told me'

'oh,'

Just then, a small fish splashed out the water. Emberpaw instinctively flashed out a paw and caught it, killing it swiftly. She lay it on the shore beside her mouse.

'that should feed a cat or two.' She purred with happiness..

Briarheart nodded appreciatively. 'Brightleaf might like it.'

Emberpaw agreed. She looked back to the water.

For a short while, neither spoke. Emberpaw excused herself, needing to return to the camp. She picked up the fish and the mouse and brought it back to the camp.

Mews of greeting welcomed emberpaw and she put her catch on the freshkill pile, taking the fish straight to Brightleaf.

'oh, hi Emberpaw!' she greeted, noticing the apprentice.

'hey, I caught a fish a thought you might like it...'

'wow! where did you catch it?'

'in the river. I saw it jumping out while I was hunting and I caught it.'

'well done! you should tell Ravenblaze, it might cheer him up. He's been in a bad mood all day. I'm not sure why...'

Emberpaw looked around. 'how is healing oakfur going?'

'good, good. I'm starting to grow low on catmint though. I worry it won't see me through leafbare though.'

'maybe some of the other clans will have some...'

'every clan will be affected by it. It's unlikely there'll be any spare.'

emberpaw looked at the grass. 'I should go and tell Ravenblaze, and get some freshkill.'

Brightleaf nodded and Emberpaw left the den, finding Ravenblaze at the freshkill pile, taking a small shrew to eat.

'hey, Ravenblaze!' she mewed cheerfully. Ravenblaze replied with a flick of his tail.

'hey, Emberpaw. Has Brightleaf got any freshkill yet? I haven't seen her near here in a while.'

'I got her a fish I caught.'

'a fish?!'

'yes, I caught it in the river.'

'I sent you hunting near the mound...'

Emberpaw twitched her ear with embarrassment.

'I lost my way. Everything looks the same when it's in the snow...'

Ravenblaze gave her a sullen look. 'how will you ever become a warrior if you don't even know the territory?'

'I... I'm sorry, everything looks the same...'

Ravenblaze stalked away spitefully and emberpaw was left alone at the freshkill pile. It had started snowing again and the apprentice looked into the small hole where the prey was. Nothing remained. Sighing, she lay down, not even bothered to go back to her den, and fell asleep in the cold.