(2) Chapter 6: Push it!!!

Rin Matsuoka

"Go!" I yell.

Haru immediately pushes himself into the water. There's a big force behind the push off, because he gets pretty far from the edge.

His body moves through the body seemless. It looks near beautiful.

When Haru's arms start moving they pull him foreward through the water. The speed he's getting would almost make you forget that his legs don't do much.

He's fast... faster than I thought he would be, but not as fast as he used to be. I just hope that doesn't bother him.

It surely doesn't bother me. I'm just so happy to see him swim, making that turn and finishing the match after such a long time... It's beautiful.

Haru puts his hand on the side of the pool and his head swings upwards. There's a slight smile on his face. And as water flies through the air, I feel a drip running down my cheek.

Haru looks at me, his eyes are sparkling. I don't think I've ever seen him this proud, even though he didn't win.

I smile and watch as Taylor – my teammate – looks at Haru and says, "You put up a good fight. Congrats."

Haru looks at him, confused. "But you won."

Taylor chuckles and climbs out of the water. "That's not the point of swimming, right?" He glances at me and back at Haru. "You did a great job, and it looked like you had much fun. That's what swimming is about."

Haru glances away and shrugs. I couldn't have expected a different reaction from him.

I walk to the water and stick out my hand to Haru. He grabs it and I pull him out of the water.

He sits down on the edge of the swimming pool and stares at his lap.

"Do you want to race against me as well?" I ask, because I would want to race Haru.

Haru looks up at me. For a second I think he's going to say yes, but then he looks away.

Haru shakes his head, water falling down from his black hair.

"Not yet."