Chapter Five

To say I was overwhelmed with the size of Michael’s family was an understatement. The all rushed in one by one, kissing my cheeks and squeezing the life out of me. We all eventually made our way into the dining room, where I took the last available. Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared at me. Michael’s face paled, I had no idea what was going on. Until Michael’s mom entered the kitchen and froze, everyone seemed to wait for her next move. She placed dinner of the table and excused herself with her eyes watering.

“That’s dad’s seat nobody sits there anymore” Maria whispered to me. Oh shit what have I done?  I immediately rose up and tried to find Sofia to apologize.

“Mrs. Mancini, I’m so sorry, I didn’t know and I didn’t mean to disresp-”

“You’re the first girl he’s brought home you know? He promised his father the girl he would bring to the house would be the girl he would marry. I lost the love of my life to a heart attack which is ironic seeing as what he did for a living. You’ve picked a dangerous lifestyle my dear. I hand the reins to you.” She kissed my cheeks, and wiped her tears. “I’m happy he picked you, you seem so strong willed.”

“I’m anything but that ma’am.”

“It’s Mama to you, but you’ll grow into it. I’m getting old and so is Michael thirty one is getting up there in age. I want to see some grandchildren before I go.” I was surprised she called herself old she looked amazing. She had to be in her late fifties but looked thirty maybe it was an Italian thing. She kissed my cheeks and led me into the dining room. She pulled up another chair for me to sit in. “Well let’s eat.” We ate for what seemed like hours and everyone began to settle into their own conversations.

“I’m sorry for earlier” I whispered to Michael.

“It’s ok. You didn’t know” he said smiling at me.

“You didn’t tell me you were so old. You’re thirty one; you’re nine years older than me.”

“So? My dad was twelve years older than my mom.”

“Well you could’ve told me you old man” he smirked at me.

“We’ll play twenty questions or something when we get home. But for now let’s enjoy tonight.” We stayed at his mother’s house for a couple more hours. Which included showing Michael’s baby photos and funny stories, had so much lipstick on my cheek it looked like a bruise. I was so happy that his family embraced me, especially since I had none. I knew it was weird that I just met him but, something felt so right, and I always trusted my gut. We got into his car and head back to his home.

“So what do you wanna know?” he asked slamming down on the couch, while twirling his freshly poured scotch in his glass.

“Well I want to know everything.” He raised an eyebrow at me. “Well by everything I mean like, why me? And will I be safe? What about my future? And my hou-”

“You talk a lot you know that right? Well my great grandfather started both businesses in Italy and when my father moved so did the business, and I guess you know the rest. I picked you because you’re so different from anyone I’ve ever been with, and I know it’s only been a little while but you fit with me just right. I’ll always do my best to keep you safe, you’re future is with me, and I had you forcibly evicted. That’s it.”

“So I have no where to go other than here?”

“Pretty much” he said shrugging his shoulders and pulling me onto his lap. “I want you here with me all the time.” He began kissing my neck and putting his hands down my jeans.

“But M-Michael what about my job, how am I supposed to take care of myself. I don’t want your money.”

“I told you I’ll take care of you. Ok? I took my dad’s position and you’ll take my mom’s. She didn’t work and my father took care of her. You don’t need a job.” I didn’t notice that I was almost naked and he positioned himself inside of me. Egotistical Bastard.

I woke up to and empty bed. I searched for Michael only to bed left with a note and a McDonalds bag. “Bella, I’ll be back this evening, I have business to handle. I cleared out my half of the closet. So make yourself at home literally. I can’t cook so I got you a bag of whatever. You mind making dinner and cleaning up before I get back? X Mikey”

I couldn’t help but chuckle at his note, he was taking care of me so cooking dinner wasn’t a big thing. There was nothing but a McGriddle and hashbrowns in the bag. I love McDonald’s hashbrowns which was a great coincidence. I emptied all of my boxes and hung up all my clothes and shoes, which wasn’t a lot to begin with. By four the house was a mess, and I still hadn’t made dinner. I finished at about seven and I made chicken, mashed potatoes, greens, corn bread, and some cake for dinner. As I was setting the table Michael opened the door.

“Something smells great Jenny. What did you make me for d-. You didn’t clean my house.” He said raising an eyebrow.

“Oh well. I just got caught up in dinner that I forgot.”

“It’s ok baby. I was running a little late today but I expect dinner to be done by six and my house to be spotless ok?” He kissed my cheek and dug into dinner. This was going to be completely different than I thought.