CHAPTER 9

Chapter 9

At the Braullio residence in Barangay San Juan, Alcala, Attorney Alfredo Mones could not keep still. It had been two days since Rebecca left had for Manila, but up to that time of December 4, 2017, she had not yet returned home. Attorney Alfredo Mones was somewhat apprehensive. He knew his wife. They had been married for almost eighteen years, and had been blessed with  three children ( Carla, 16; Corazon, 15; and Alfredo, Jr. 13)  who were studying in the high school department of  Ateneo de Manila University, and were staying in a condominium  owned by their grandfather. 

For that span of years of marriage, he knew that if she was mad, she would not talk to him for days, or if she left for Manila, or somewhere else, she would not go home for days until her anger subsided. He could not blame her for acting that way. After all, it was his damn fault.

He wondered whether Rebecca had told her father about the joke he cracked or not. Probably not, he thought. It was not her style to report to her father of their marital quarrel. 

He took his cellphone from his pocket and dialed Rebecca's number. He heard her cellphone ring, then came through his wife's voice.

"Apay? (What is it?) Why did you call?" she asked tersely.

She was still mad.  The tone of her voice told him so. Yet Alfredo tried to make his voice cheerful despite his apprehension. So he tested the waters further.

"When are you coming home?" he asked instead, ignoring the tone of his wife's voice.

"On the 24th, why?" she asked.

" Just asking. Look, I'm sorry for that joke. Me and my big mouth," he said apologetically.

"Someday your big mouth will put you in hot water," she said.

He was silent for a few seconds. Then he said, "Are you and Papa coming home together?"

"Yes, with the kids. Anything  else? Look, I'm busy here. Call me later," she said. Then she hung up.

Well, see you on the 24th, honey, he thought. But what if was still wearing that long face, or what if she would still give him cold shoulders, what will he do? He rose from his seat and paced the floor back and forth. That was his style of dealing with a problem. While he thought, he paced the floor until some plausible answer popped out of his mind. Unfortunately, no plausible answer popped out. "Damn it!" he cursed.

How in the name of good fortune would he make amends with his wife? Would a truckload of roses and chocolates do? That would be ridiculous of course. He remembered the time when he was still courting her, and if he happened to hurt her feelings, he had to apply every possible trick in his sleeves to make amends with her.

Maybe I would take her and the kids to Tagaytay, or to Boracay, or even to Pagudpod, Ilocos Norte after Christmas. Then we would come back on new year's eve, he mused.

Unfortunately, his plan would never materialize—it was bound to fail! He had no inkling that a few hours before Christmas, he would lose Rebecca forever. Had he known it, he would have begged her to stay in Manila indefinitely!

In the meantime, on the 5th of December 2017, Commander Pusa was back at Commander Dodong's headquarters. The two commanders finalized their plan for the successful execution of their up coming operation. It had to be fool proof.

"The attack must be simultaneous," Dodong said, "Let's say we attack at 8:00 o clock in the evening of the 24th. So we had to synchronize our watches. Now, since it is Christmas eve, everybody will be busy."

Commander Pusa nodded in agreement. Christmas in the Philippines is the busiest time of the year; during Christmas eve, many are already engaged in merry-making. Of course, one cannot discount drinking spree and partying. In other words, people would be less mindful of their security when having a big fun.

"There should be a diversionary attack, Commander," Commander Pusa said.

"Where should that be?" Dodong asked.

Commander Pusa took a deep breath.

"I have already told Commander Sonny to attack the police station. Apart from the fact that it is  diversionary in nature, the attack would also disable the police, so they can't send help to Apartado, or anywhere else," Commander Pusa answered.

"Well that's brilliant Commander!" Dodong exclaimed in admiration.

Commander Dodong's confidence rose further. He knew that Commander Pusa was a brilliant planner, so he did not raise any doubt or question about the diversionary attack. He was now fully convinced that their operation would be one hundred percent successful.

At this point, Celedonio, aka Commander Pusa laid out in details his action plan. Commander Dodong listened intently. 

"Now, here's the detail of the Apartado attack. First, we cut the communication lines of the place. Then we neutralize the security force of the resort, after which, we plant bombs in the following facilities: the mall, 6 bombs, the swimming pools, 5 bombs, the hotel, 16 bombs—four in each floor.The bombs would be wired to a single detonator, which I myself have devised. All the guests would be herded to the eastern edge of the golf course. Then I will inform you by phone that everything is set. As an insurance, we confiscate the cellphones of all the staff and guards. " Commander Pusa  explained.

"Perfect," Dodong said, "When we get there, we hog tie the Honorable Congressman in the lobby of the hotel. Then I myself will detonate the bombs. Anyway, I have carefully planned how I and my men would kidnap the fucking bastard."

"It will be a hell of a Christmas for Congressman Braullio!" Commander Pusa laughed.

"Yes, a bloody Christmas for him," Dodong smiled in derision as he nodded his head.

"So everything is set. The bombs are ready. My men are ready, and I am damn ready, Commander."  Commander Pusa said as he rose from his chair to signal that their conference was over.

"Then, let's do it. Merry Crhistmas, Commander Pusa," Dodong extended his hand to Celedonio.

"Merry  Christmas, too, Commander Dodong," he said as he shook hands with him. With that note, they parted in peace.

Dodong sat back, closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and said,"Lolo, Tatang, Inang, soon you will have justice! That I can assure. Then you can rest in peace, wherever you are now."