CHAPTER 7

Chapter 7

Rosita C. Bado, aka, Wild Flower, was actually a cousin of Celedonio Cabral. Her mother was the sister of Celedonio's father. Both Rosita and Celedonio grew up in Caba, La Union. She was very close to Celedonio because she never had a brother. Celedonio, on the other hand, had no sister of his own. Both were the only children of their parents.

She was three years younger than Celedonio, that was why she usually called him Manong Celin. She never addressed him Commander Pusa because that was too formal. Besides, Manong Celin was her cousin. Meanwhile, Celedonio fondly called her Insan.

When Celedonio disappeared after his parents' death, Rosita grieved much for his loving cousin. She thought that she would never see him again. But she was wrong. It was a few months before her graduation in the college (she took up BSE-Bachelor of Science in Education in Don Mariano Marcos Memorial State University, La Union) that Celedonio resurfaced in her life. He was totally different from the Manong Celin he used to know. She learned from Celedonio himself that he was an NPA commander, known as Commander Pusa.

"See to it that you will never tell this to anyone, Insan," he told her. That she did. From time to time, Celedonio saw her, but he was always in disguise to avoid detection.

After she finished her Bachelor of Science in Education degree, she taught for three years in a private school in Caba that was run by the Catholic Church.  Of course, the pay was not that high, so she planned to apply in a public high school where the pay was much higher. So after passing LET (Licensure Examination for Teachers), she immediately filed her application in a public national high school in Caba, La Union. She was hopeful that she could pass the interview and other tests.

However, that did not materialize. One day, Celedonio asked her if she wanted to apply for the position of a chief of staff for a certain Congressman Tomas Braullio of Alcala, Pangasinan. She was of course excited.

"How did you know about this job opening?" she asked.

"I have a contact in Alcala. He is a Sannguniang Bayan member, and a secret supporter of our organization. He is also a friend of the Braullio family," Celedonio explained to her.

"The pay is good, Insan (cousin). Twenty-five grand a month," he said.

"Wow, that's five thousand more than four times the salary I earn as a private school teacher! How should I apply?" she eagerly asked.

"Well, I can accompany you personally in his office in Alcala, Pangasinan," Celedonio replied.

"But..." she hesitated as she looked at her NPA cousin.

"I know what you mean, Insan. Don't worry, nobody can recognize me. Remember, I am a master of disguise" he assured her. And she believed.

"Okay. I will prepare my resume at once," she agreed, "Come back here the day after tomorrow. Then off we go."

So Celedonio accompanied Rosita to Alcala. True enough, nobody recognized him as Commander Pusa. Even in-coming Congressman Tomas Braullio did not have an inkling that he was face to face with one of the wiliest commanders of the New People's Army. Celedonio just introduced himself as Rosita's boyfriend. He was disguised as a pastor of a certain local congregation. Of course, the congregation never existed.

Besides being intelligent, Rosita was also a woman with stunning beauty. All at once, Congressman Braullio was impressed. In fact, Braullio had a penchant to beautiful women, so that without much ado, he hired Rosita as his chief of staff. 

Of course, she was very thankful to Manong Celin, and in gratitude she asked,"Ania ti multak, Manong (what do I owe you)?"

"Nothing, Insan. Hey, what are cousins for?" he said cheerfully.

Then after a few seconds, he said," There's just one thing you can do for me, Insan."

"What is it? Just tell me, Manong," she said.

He took a deep breath and said, "I want you to monitor every movement of Congressman Braullio."

Rosita was aghast, "What! You want me to spy on him?"

"Of course not, Insan," he said, "I just want you to observe what he does. After all, you are his chief of staff, and you have to be updated of his appointments, transactions, and his other official acts."

"And then what?" she asked.

"Well, I might need some important information concerning his activity later on, and you can supply me that information, whatever it is," he explained.

"And then what will you do, Manong?" she asked with a little apprehension.

"Just do what I'm telling you, Insan, okay?" he said calmly.

After a while, Celedonio said, "If ever I contact you again, I'll just call you Wild Flower."

"Wild Flower?" she asked in amazement.

"Yes," he replied, "that will be your code name."

"Do I really need a code name? My God, I would sound like spy!" she exclaimed.

Celedonio simply smiled and said, "Just get used to it, Okay? That's the least you can do for me."

"What else can I do? I owed you my job," she said.

And so it came to pass that she, Rosita Bado, became Tomas Braullio's chief of staff. It was her duty to take note of the congressman's important appointments, and to accompany to some important gatherings—social, political, or business otherwise. Because of her stunning beauty, Congressman Braullio became the envy of all congressmen. In fact, even Braullio had a lustful desire on her. How many times did Rosita catch him eyeing at her beautiful legs. Some naughty colleague of Congressman Braullio egged him to sleep with her!

The Honorable Congressman, however, did not do that, although there were times that he was tempted to do so. But he had to restrain himself. He must maintain an unblemished record. Besides, he thought, I don't want to be put in a scandalous situation.

Thus, Rosita was able to maintain her virginity.

Then one day in December 2017, she received a text message from Commander Pusa asking her the specific date of Congressman Tomas Braullio's return to Alcala for Christmas. Her first job as a mole began. So without any question, she, Wild Flower, provided the information asked for. She took her cellphone and began typing the information needed by Manong Celedonio.