Chapter One

I came rushing home after my choir practice today to give you this. I know it’s incredibly short but this is a very short, short story. It has a total of 6 parts and they’re all about this length and approximately 700+ words. Who knows, in the future I might try to make this a little bit longer, but if that ever happens it’ll have to actually have to have an audience and not me posting for my own pleasure.

Chapter One

Once Upon a Time a woman met a man; they dragged one another to the church. A year later, the same woman was surprised when she found out she was pregnant, but not with one baby, but two. She was scared, they were so young, too young to be parents, she expressed her feeling to her husband but they didn’t see eye to eye. The man was ecstatic that he was going to be a father and couldn’t wait for the small bundles of joy to come into his life. Nine months later, the twins were born. The man named the young girl Ava and the boy Alistair; they were very beautiful; each had the same blue eyes and the same blonde hair. The woman instantly fell in love with the son just after one look. ‘He’s perfect’ she would always comment to the man, he would say ‘so is she,’ but she never seen it.

        Nineteen years later, nothing seemed to change. The woman, or Mother as Ava likes to call her, is nothing but horrible to her saying rude vile things her when Father and Alastair weren’t around. She didn’t know how one could be so horrible to their own child.

                Ava laid down a bowl of fresh water for the tabby nuzzling her leg and gave him a long scratch behind the ears. The Carson’s were one of the poorer families in the community, meaning they were farmers and that they were uneducated. Her father tried to help the twins read and write with the little education he got as a child but besides that they weren’t taught much. She enjoyed helping Father and Alastair in the fields, planting and harvesting crops to sell to villagers. Mother goes to the market and tries to sell the things they could grow.

                Ava came back from the field early, promising Father that she would get home before Mother and start supper. She didn’t get a chance yet to take off her mud beaten boots, mud was tracked in the kitchen and she prayed that Mother wouldn’t come in the door yet. Ava took out a pot from one of the cupboards and filled it with water, wanting it to boil before she put vegetables in the steamy water.

Mother came through the front door frocefully, yelling Father’s name and then Alastair’s. She came into the out dated kitchen, a small brown bag across her chest. Inside was the money they made today from selling their goods. Rarely was it very much, just enough to get by and still be healthy. For fruits and vegetables they put aside different types of crops each day. For dairy, they milked the cow out back and created their own butter from it and as for meat her father bought meat from the local butcher. It was a simple life we live, lots of routines that are rarely broken.

“How dare you track mud into my kitchen you dirty girl, you have been misbehaving all week, if it wasn’t for your Father I wouldn’t’ve let you have supper the past week. I don’t know what kind of potential he sees in you, dear. Now, clean these floors, I want to see my reflection in them!”

                Just as Ava was reaching the mop, Father and Alastair came rushing in the kitchen door with a larger amount of mud on their shoes, when Mother re-entered the kitchen to check on her daughters progress she noticed the boys but didn’t say anything about the mud. She kisses Father on the cheek and gently moves Alastair’s blonde hair from his beautiful blue eyes.

“The king just announced he’s having a dinner theater, everyone is invited. I think it’s because his son has become of age, so he’s looking for a princess, I could be wrong. You should go Sis; you’re beautiful enough to be with the prince,” Alastair said while he helps her with the heavy pale filled with water to wash up the floors. Ava thought about how to be with the prince you need to be beautiful and educated, she’s a lot of things but those two weren’t on the list. “You should give it a chance, even if you’re not the one he picks it would be fun to go.” Ava nodded once and then nodded again, mumbling how she would consider it, but they both knew she knew she would never.

Images of her and the prince together, laughing and dancing and watching the play together flashed through Ava’s mind forcefully. She tried to ignore them, but she imaged the expensive dresses she would be able to afford in another life. Shaking her head Ava began to wash the floors.