Chapter two

~Arthur POV ~
"So, how long do you plan on staying in France? You know there is talk of war...are you sure you want to be here when it starts?" Francis asked. I shook my head, laughing. "There isn't going to be a war; that is just propaganda talk."I shook my head. I didn't like the idea of another war. My eldest cousin fought in the world war. Now that my brothers are older, they would have to leave...and now that I am of age, I would also be fighting in the war. It's not a happy thought.

"I hope not; who will watch my shop while I am gone?" Francis laughed. I looked up at him, a bit sad, but I shook it off. "This bread is amazing; thank you so much for it, I know you told me not to pay, but I can at least leave you a tip?" I placed a couple of Francs in a jar and smiled at him. "Ahh, thank you very much. I hope to see you soon?" He asked. I smiled a yes at him and started to walk out of the shop slowly. He was super nice and the first person I met.

"Hey, maybe you can show me some sights here; you are the first friend I made in France...so what do you say?" I looked at him, a bit nervous. I should not have asked that. He is a busy man. He looked at me with a wide smile, nodding. "Well, I close up in an hour; how about you stay with me a little longer till then?" he asked hopefully. "Are you sure? I wouldn't impose on anything or get in the way, right?" I asked, but he replied with a head shake.

"Here, you can relax over here," he grabbed my hand softly, leading me around the counter and into a room covered with a curtain too dark to see through. It looked like a small apartment. "Wow, it looks like a small home," I smiled, amazed. "It's my home. The depression that came meant I couldn't live in my own home, so I moved out and decided to live here. Which has been wondering if I am going, to be honest," he looked so satisfied with his setup. It did look amazing in here. It has everything he needs here. "I like it," I smiled brightly at him.

"You can listen to some records while I get back to work." He walked over to the record player and took out an album. "This is my favorite. Josephine Baker, she is quite stunning," he smiled. Placing the record on the player, it soon began to play. It was beautiful. "I will be by the counter if you need me," he waved me off. I guess it wasn't the best idea to have said yes to his offer...now I am sitting here by myself instead of talking with him. It is only an hour, plus I am sure I can just see what he is up to.

I stood up from my seat and walked over to the curtain, opening it slowly. My jaw dropped from the sight. "How did a huge line suddenly form?" I said to myself. I looked at Francis, who was keeping up with the rush of people. They all looked so excited to get a taste of his bread. I mean, they are pretty good. I slowly closed the curtain, making my way back to the seat I was sitting in.

I looked around his room, and it was cozy. At least he still has somewhere to go after everything that happened to him. It is a relief to know that. I soon caught myself tapping my foot to the playing French music. Francis is a man of good taste, and I want to know more about him. He seems like a fascinating person. I looked on the walls and saw old photos of him with a girl pinned. She had her long hair in a braid, and they laughed so much.

~
After waiting, Francis finally entered the room, wiping his sweat away. "Sorry I took so long; I appreciate the lunch rushes that come in. Helps me earn some more money," he smiled. "Oh, it's quite alright; I was just enjoying how beautiful you have kept the room here. It is amazing" I smiled politely at him. "Arthur...you are amazing," his words made me freeze on the spot as he said that. "Me? No..." I laughed out. I stood up and started walking towards the exit of the room. "It's true. I have known you not long, but it's been amazing."

I looked at him, and he stared at me keenly. They are not joking when they say Frenchmen are very passionate. Wish I could say the same for Englishmen. "Well, I m staying here in Paris for a year; maybe we will be great friends?" I asked in a suggesting way. "Oh yes, with great pleasure, my friend," he smiled. He just seemed like a nice person overall. I am sure he has a lot of friends. "Do you have a lot of friends? I feel like you do.." he soon laughed at my statement.

"Not really, but I don't mind the quietness. Then I meet fine people like you, and it makes me wish I had more friends. Yet, I am satisfied if you were it. You seem like a person I could have great conversations with...if you know what I mean?" He laughed. I lifted a brow, confused. For some reason, it seemed like he was talking about sex.

~Francis POV~

I was definitely talking about sex.

~Arthur POV~

"Well, are you ready to go now?" Francis asked with a huge smile on his face. "Yes, let's get to it," I smiled, following him out of the room and into the main shop filled with loaves of bread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far ❤️