Alphas and Angels - Chapter 10

The rest of the night is spent together, all hanging out in Jeremy's room. Once I collect myself, Laney decides it's time to introduce me to some games. She insists I know one, in particular, calling it an "Earth classic," that everyone must know.

I stare at the 4 cards in my hand, trying to think of my best course of action. "Jeremy, do you have a 6 with uh....the upside-down heart spear?"

"Spades," he corrects, and I quietly shame myself for not remembering the names. "And no, Go Fish."

Sighing in frustration, I pick a card up from the pile in the center, flipping it over to reveal a 6 of spades. "Aha!" I yell, pulling my copy out of my hand and pairing it with the one I just drew. Caleb, who is curled in my lap, takes the two cards from me and places them next to us, where my two other pairs sit.

"Do you have a 10 of hearts, Laney?" Jeremy asks.

Her nose scrunches up as she looks at her two cards, and her expression is threatening as she looks to Jeremy. "No."

"She's lying," I say immediately. Her gaze turns to me, the power of a thousand fires in her gaze.

"No weirdo angel sixth senses allowed!" she yells, pointing an accusatory finger at me. I giggle quietly.

"I don't need any, it's written on your face!"

"It's true, you're very obvious," Arianna says, Jeremy nodding in agreement. She looks offended, before grumbling to herself and handing Jeremy the card. He smiles triumphantly, putting down the last of his cards.

Arianna and Laney both groan, "The game is over. Count your matches."

We all total our scores and it is Arianna who ends out on top. I start collecting the cards as Laney and Arianna argue over whether or not the game requires strategy or pure luck.

Cards stacked properly, I pass them over to a smiling Jeremy who places them back in their box. I realize then that, with my dad gone, my answers won't come so easily. At the very least, I can start on question number one and maybe Jeremy can help me. I know he's biased, but maybe once I explain my reasoning--and now, I can explain it entirely--he can see my side and help me out.

"Can we talk?" I ask, adding quietly "When we're alone?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah of course," he says coolly, but his expression contains a hint of unease, and I wonder why.

He hands Laney back her cards, and she takes them without ever stopping her long-winded rant. After a few more moments, when I'm about to ask them to let it go, I'm interrupted by Caleb, much to my surprise.

"Please, ssshh," he hushes them, and it works better than anything I could have said or done.

They both look to him, and then to each other, slightly embarrassed. "Sorry, Caleb," Laney says.

Caleb simply nods, before getting off my lap and going to the window to look out. Now, the sun has gone to rest and the Moon is just starting her shift, and Caleb yawns.

"I think it's bedtime for everyone," Jeremy says, going to pick Caleb up, who accepts it easily. "I'll come and tuck you in."

After one last glance at me from both boys, Jeremy walks out of the room, soon followed by Laney and Arianna who both bid me a goodnight, or "whatever it is you do because I'm pretty sure angels don't sleep but since you're only half-angel--" before Arianna shuts the door between us.

Taking a deep breath, I go to the windowsill myself and look out into the night. Jeremy's window faces the vast expanse of forest behind the house, and I can just barely see over the treetops. I wonder where my father is as I stare out, cheek in my hand. I wonder why he left. I wonder what he's doing now, and if he's coming back.