Alphas and Angels - Chapter 5

I've come to quickly realize that on this planet, I've got it easier than most would if they were in my situation. Why? Well, since my mother used to always tell me stories about Earth, I got to know the names and function of things that don't exist up in Heaven. Meaning, I know what a shower is and its purpose.

Strange as it might seem, yes, my mother has told me stories about it. Not a story per se, but it came up a few times. After all, she spent sixteen years of my life telling me these stories. I was inside often, being hidden from everyone when necessary, and stories of Earth were how my mom passed the time. If I didn't know any better, I would say she resorted to just teaching me what everything was because she ran out of stories to tell.

But that isn't the point. The point is, I'm standing in the middle of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around me as I stare idiotically at the contraption known as a 'shower'.

I sigh and sit down on the toilet. I really could use a shower, if I could figure out how to work the damn thing. All I've done is made the water come out at freezing cold and Satan's lair temperatures. I don't know why, but I feel like there is filth all over me, which is something I've never experienced and prefer not to experience anymore.

Just as I'm about to redress and find Jeremy, the door to the bathroom swings open and Laney beams at me.

"Emmy, why didn't you tell me!" she squeals, and before I can get a word in, I'm engulfed in her tight hug. I blink a few times in confusion as she starts jumping up and down, her arms still holding me in her vise grip.

"I'm sorry?" I say hesitantly, unsure of what she's talking about. I keep one hand gripping my towel, while the other tries and fails to put some space between us. And, to make this already immensely awkward situation even more embarrassing, Jeremy decides to walk in as well.

For the third time today, my cheeks flush bright red. He grins in that way that shows off those dimples of his, and for a second I get distracted from the girl currently hugging me.

"Laney, let her go," Jeremy chuckles. Almost immediately, Laney drops her arms, but keeps her hands on my shoulders and gives them a squeeze, still smiling hugely at me.

"Sorry, I get excited sometimes," she says, and then pats my cheek with her right hand. "But it isn't every day that you get one-on-one time with the soon-to-be Luna."

"E-excuse me?" My voice comes out about an octave higher than normal.

"I'm glad I got to you when I did. I mean, it's only going to be a few weeks before Jeremy takes the Alpha position! You showed up just in time sweetie," she continues. My eyes widen and I look over Laney's shoulder at Jeremy, who is now frowning at her.

"Laney-" He starts to interject, but I'm not sure Laney catches it as she keeps babbling on.

"How cool is that? I get to say I was the Luna's first friend when she came here! I'd like to see Blake insult me now-"

"Laney," Jeremy says in a much louder, warning tone.

She shuts her mouth, turning to look at Jeremy with an innocent and confused expression. "What?"

I feel I'm completely frozen in place, staring at the two with my eyes still wide. Jeremy told her that we're mates? I mean, I thought the issue was still under debate, or at least it is in my mind. And now, he expects me to accept it and become Luna? What is that, anyway? Is it like the female Alpha?

He must be clinically insane if he thinks that's going to happen.

Jeremy sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose and closing his eyes. "Laney, give us a minute."