Alphas and Angels - Chapter 9

My heart full, I squeeze Jeremy's hand back, beyond joyful that my newfound friends don't hate me. Though I still have so many questions, I want to take in this moment before jumping into any of it.

"I knew!" Caleb says, sleep still heavy in his voice, reaching out for me. Jeremy hesitantly releases him as I wrap him in my arms. He snuggles against me, instantly, much to everyone's shock. But again, I won't dwell on it just yet. It's just nice to see him ok.

"I know you too," Caleb says, pointing to my father. His expression is neutral as always, but he gives a quick nod to the child. It seems to please Caleb and he sinks back into my arms, his head now resting on my shoulder. I narrow my eyes suspiciously but am cut off from asking anything by Laney.

"We need to tell everyone! This is so awesome!" she exclaims. Just as she's about to make a break for it out the door, Arianna grabs her arm and yanks her back, not at all gently.

"Do you literally never learn?" she scolds, gripping Laney's arm in what looks to be a vice grip. "Let Emmy do it, on her terms!"

I'm eternally grateful for Arianna at that moment. She's a wonderful human being, and so far it seems the only person who can knock sense into Laney. Laney is sweet and means well, but I can already tell there are going to be few secrets between us.

"I would like to keep it a secret for now," I say.

"I think that would be best as well." To my surprise, my father is the one who says this. He had been so keen on me telling them, that it shocks me a bit to hear him agree with me. "Emmy's fears were not entirely unfounded. There are dark forces in this world that would be desperate to get their hands on either one of us. My powers will fade over time, but until then we have to remain vigilant."

"Fade?" I question.

"Yes, fallen angels do not retain their gifts forever," he clarifies. "It is a part of our curse to have those gifts stripped away."

"So does that mean you guys eventually won't be all--" Laney motions wildly at both of us, not making it very clear to me what she's trying to convey, "you know, immortal?"

"We will retain everything about us, including immortality. But each Angel has a gift. For example, Emmy's is a shield. They're not part of our being, they're given to us. And, since we've fallen, they will be taken away."

I didn't know this myself, so when Laney looks to me with raised eyebrows I'm sure I look just as confused as she is. Of course, I know why I wouldn't know this information--I'm sure mom or dad never really expected us to be cast out, and fallen angels were hardly ever a topic of conversation, despite everything with Axel.

"Who all knows?" Jeremy asks, switching gears on the conversation. I note that he hasn't let go of my hand yet, but neither have I.

"Just everyone in this room, and Alpha Nicholas," Dad responds. "Considering he did not tell you, Jeremy, I imagine not even the Beta knows."

"You told him?" I ask, bewildered. When had he told him, anyway?

My father simply nods in response to spoken my question, before addressing the group once more.

"This needs to be kept between us all for the time being," he looks pointedly at Laney then, who becomes sheepish under his gaze. "Can we count on the three of you?"

They all nod in unison, sharing determined looks. I even feel Caleb nodding his little head against my shoulder, causing me to smile. Dad rises to his feet, straightening out his clothes as he speaks.

"We should go pay a visit to the Alpha, then. Just so we are all on the same page."

*

Alpha Nicholas lets us in immediately, and I step into the office holding Caleb tightly, surprised to find no one else in the room. I don't know why exactly, but I figured the Beta would be in here. Though, I haven't met him since I've gotten here. I don't even know his name.