Chapter 8: Not Alone

"It wasn't a choice, it was a promise I told him I would never break. I keep my promises, John. I told Brooklyn I wasn't going anywhere, so therefore here I am."

He glances up at me while washing our paint brushes, "No need to put your back up". I splash him with water as I clean the palette, "I didn't mean to, it just becomes too much when people are forever asking me about him, you know? If I say I love him and I'll do anything to keep him in my life, then there's my word."

Mrs. Smith walks up to us and tells us to stop splashing, as she flicks water at us herself. She laughs and asks us if we wouldn't mind staying after class to help her clean up a bit because she doesn't have the strength to. I tell her its not a problem, and I stare down Johnathan. He tries not to laugh at me as I try to be all serious with him while he's goofing off, but he cracks, and his laugh is so contagious that I can't help but laugh too.

I remember Lynzee and ask John if I should text her to tell her we're staying to help, and he laughs and tells me she'll figure it out. I laugh and start wiping down some of the tables and Mrs. calls me over, "Alex can I talk to you about something hun?"

I walk over and sit down beside her at her desk, I don't wanna look her in the eyes cause I'm afraid I'm in trouble, so I look at the pictures that I love so much of her and her husband over the years. They've been together for 60 years, they're just so cute.

"I've been in your situation" she tells me, and I give her a puzzled look. She explains everything to me about how her husband was a war veteran back in the day, and how she had to handle it too. After awhile I begin to cry and I can't help it, I fought it so hard but I just failed completely.

Johnathan runs over and hugs me from behind, while Mrs. offers me a tissue. I thank her and turn to hug Johnathan, he's so comforting and his hugs remind me of Brooklyn's in almost every way. I look up at Johnathan and he wipes my cheek, I apologize. "Don't say you're sorry for crying, you have all right to be upset" he tells me. I wipe his cheek now too and Mrs.Smith brings us even closer together when she joins us, and even closer after that when Lynzee barges in and hugs us too.

"Don't think I'm fine with you two losers though" Lynzee says as we all pull away. Johnathan laughs at her for being mad and she punches his arm. He pulls her into a kiss and I look away. I'm getting tired of being the third wheel.

"Let's go home."