Chapter 2: Empty House

Natalie switched the car to park as she reached my house. As I undid my seatbelt she cleared her throat. "If you need anything, you call me" she said, still choked up.  I thanked her and assured her if she needed the same I'd be there. I knew how hard things would be for her considering she'd have to face sitting alone in a empty house for over a year.

She leaned in and hugged me tight, tucking my hair behind my ear. She was the closest thing I had that felt like my mother and I wouldn't trade it for anything. After she let go I tried to give her a smile and I thanked her once again for driving me as I opened the door. I knew how hard it was for her to smile back, but she managed to do it anyways. Natalie is such a strong woman.

She watched as I walked up the drive way and the porch steps, waiting until I was inside to drive away.

The house was empty when I stepped inside, leaving it filled with dead silence. In some ways I was relieved I didn't need to face talking to anybody, but then again I was left alone with the power of my mind to swallow me in over thinking; one of the only things I'm unfortunately good at.

Indecisive about whether to eat a dinner or not, I decided that I probably couldn't, even if I tried, so a shower and then bed it was.

I made my way to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Someone could've told me I was a wreck. My chocolate brown hair was now a knotted mess and I had makeup smeared under my eyes. My eyes were left tinted dark and red from the unstoppable tears and my tan was replaced by a sickening pale colour.

I started the water for the shower after brushing my teeth, leaving my clothes in a heap on the ground. I pull the curtain back and step in carefully, the warm water left trickling down my back. My thoughts drain and I end up thinking of a different story, not so negative.