Chapter 11: Promise

My mouth drops almost instantly. I run my fingers through my tangled hair and close my eyes for a moment. I breathe to try and gather my thoughts hoping this is all a dream but when I open my eyes the positive test is still sitting in the palm of my hand. My heart pounds to the point where I feel as if it's going to come right out of my chest. I glance at the time on my phone; 4pm. Richard will be home in half an hour. I need to clean up my act, he can not find out about this. I go into my room and pace back and forth. I stop and look myself in the mirror, how could I be so stupid? I take a deep breath and dial my brother Mason's number. We haven't talked in almost half a year but I could really use him right now. "Please pick up, please pick up" The phone rings for forever and just as I'm about to give up he speaks.

"Lex?" "Mason?" "Hey stranger" he says in the most sarcastic way possible and I gulp as I fully expect him to hang up on me. "Please listen to me." "I'm at work." "Mason please." "Make it quick." "Mason, you're gonna be an Uncle." I spit that out faster than I expected. "Aren't you like 16?" I roll my eyes, typical Mason. "I'm 17 but anyways, that's not the point. I just don't know what to do and Momma would be so disappointed." He laughs, "relax Lexi, Mom and Dad made me at 18." "Mason." I say harshly.  "Sorry." It's silent for what feels like forever until he clears his throat. "What is your plan? Ya know with Brooklyn kinda gone?" I sigh, "Mason I don't have one. All I know is I'm going to get kicked out. Renee and Richard will shoot me." He falls silent again and a few minutes later he gathers his thoughts. "Do you want to meet up?" My mouth drops and I say yes a little too quickly, I haven't seen Mason since 4 Christmases ago. We make some plans and he promises to call me after work. "You know I love you right?" "I love you too, Mason." I crack a small smile, "I'll see you soon baby sister, I won't break that promise this time."

I find the nerve to call the doctor and book an appointment to varify that this test is actually correct. I turn to fix my hair in my mirror and stare blankly at the photos of Brook. "How do I explain this to him?" I start crying as my phone rings, it's Lynzee.

"Did you take it?" She says before I even say hello. I sigh, "Lynzee. I'm so stupid." She tries to tell me I'm not but I can't help but think that I am. One small mistake and my whole life has changed. I was an honour student with my entire life ahead of me, this can't be happening. "Breathe." "Lynzee, I'm trying." "Did you tell Natalie?" I tell her no and she suggests that I should go see her after my appointment tomorrow. "Alright, fine." "Stay strong, I'll see you tomorrow." "Wait what?"  "Don't be stupid Alex. I'm not sending you alone."