Chapter 5

Lyssa's POV*

I was half asleep on Charles's chest when the horn blew. His gentle breathe was tickling the hairs on my scalp. "Must we go?" i ask.

"Unless you want to get publicly humiliated and living in a house with no electricity for a month, why the hell not."

"Ass hole," I say glaring at him.

"I love you too Ly," he says softly with a hint of sarcasm.

"I guess we should go," so i stand up and rub my face. "You wanna hit the store first? Im hungry."

"Sure."

I crawl back into his window and make my way back outside with Charles right behind me, or i heard his footsteps at least. He slowly catches up to me and he ties my fingers into his.

We slowly make our way towards the choosing grounds. "Ly... What would you do if i was chosen?" asks Charles. "Go with you," i say automatically.

He suddenly pulls me into him. He stares at me....and i stare back. I feel the blood rushing to my cheeks in light beats. He wraps his arms around my waist and kisses me deeply. Obviously im going to close my eyes, as i did. It felt wonderful. His lips pressed to mine. I could stay like this forever. If only the universe worked that way.

Once he broke the kiss he whent down to my ear and kissed the lobe, whispering "I love you." Then he grabs my hand again and dashes off, dragging me behind.

~After Getting the Food~

As we walk I silently munch on my Choco Stix, vanilla wafers that surround a milk chocolate center, and listen to the yap of the city. Most people were heading in the same direction we were, but fortunately not many people lived in this district so it wasnt as crowded as Main Row (the big road that splits the town in half from the West to the East).

Finally we get there. And i start to look for my mama and papa as Charles left me to do the same. I spot my mother's multi-colored sweater and run up to her. "Mama, there you are!" She turns around and hugs me tightly. "Lyss, you're just in time to check in! Come on." She smiles and guides me to a desk were a smiling black women sat.

"Good evening young lady, is this your first time going to a choosing?"

I nod.

"The rules are quite simple dear. First you have to put in your identification to know you have entered the building. Then follow everyone else to the stadium. There will be three signs up in the rows. The first to your right is the elderly, none of them will be chosen but they are obligated to come to meetings. The row on your right is adult. These ones will accompany. And then the one in the middle is adolescent. Thats your place dear."

I nod once more.

"What is your name?"

"Lyssa Anne Heider."

She begins to tap on the tablet in her hand and then looks up at my face.

"Lyssa Anne Heider. Daughter of Andrea Dinkle and Brian Heider, Born on the date of March 3rd 2033, is that you?" I nod again.

"Okay dear, you're all set. Head on through the doors."

I look at my mother who is behind me. She gives me the hand motion of go and i do so. I wish we didnt have to be split up.

I go through the door and almost fall down from all the noise in the stadium. It was loud as hell!

I look for the 'adolescent' area and find it right were the lady said. I quickly find a small corner and tuck myself into it.

I feel an arm go around me and i look over and see Charles smiling at me. I rest my head on his shoulder. He gently rubs from my waist to my leg as we wait for it to start.

After a few minute we hear a male voice instructing us to sit down and be quiet. I man walks into the middle of the stadium and the stadium screen shows him in a bigger view.

"Today is a day that many of us regret. But today is the day of the choosing. Five of you are going to go out into the toxic wasteland and report back to us. If you resist when your chosen you will imediantly be executed." he says. "Now lets get on with the show. First person is........ " he begins to tap on his tablet, "Mark Winsley!" A man stands up from the adults and walks down to the middle. "Jessica Saxton!" A young women walks down. "Jerico Garcia!" a hispanic boy stands up from infront of me walks down with his head lowered. "Joel Perez!" another adult. "Lyssa Heider!" Me? "I would like to volunteer" a woman with blue hair an a stonic face stands up. "As do I." A man with black hair says. They both are in the same row as us.