chapter 5: toneless

Silence filled the room

Silence filled the room. The both of us stood there like idiots for what felt like 10 minutes.

Jackson cleared his throat, "uh- your phone was ringing."

"O-oh thanks," I stuttered, "just- drop it on the bed."

"Alright," he said as he put my phone down on the bed, then he quickly walked out my room. Well, at least he's polite.

I take a deep breath and throw on a shirt and leggings. I throw Jackson's borrowed clothes in a bag to wash later.

I shake my head to clear it of impure thoughts, and walk out to the living room.

Jackson was speaking on the phone, "I want every single detail, is that clear?"

Perhaps he was talking about his company, so I stayed quiet.

As soon as Jackson saw me, he hung up. I didn't think much of it because it's his personal call.

We didn't talk much through out the whole process of packing. There was nothing to talk about. It's not like we knew each other.

That's right... I don't know anything about Jackson, and I'm about to live with him - temporarily, of course.

Why? Because a strange part of me trusts him, a strange part of me wants to know more about him.

A part of me was asking why I didn't call my father and the answer to that is: my father cares way too much about me, I tell him I'm hungry, he'll buy a whole restaurant just to make sure I eat. If he found out I lost my apartment, he'd for sure pay any price just to make sure I have a right house, and I don't want that, I don't want my father paying for everything. Although I know he does it because he loves me, I just wish he'd let me handle things.

I sat down on the couch and continued thinking.

"Are you tired, your highness?" Jackson asks sarcastically.

I look up at him, "I'm thinking."

He sat down next to me, "about?"

I look into his eyes and he looks into mine.

"Nothing," I said.

"You seem to think and dream about nothing a lot," he says, still not taking his eyes away from mine.

The way his eyes glistened was mesmerizing.

"We should load the boxes into your car," I say as I get up, I was trying to avoid talking to him.

Jackson got up and started taking the boxes to his car.

★ ★ ★

After we got to his house, he helped me bring the boxes up to my room.

"Do you need help unpacking?" he asks.

"Uhm- no, I don't think I'm gonna unpack. I'll find a place soon and then leave," I say.

Jackson's expression slightly drops. Once again we're silent. Once again we're looking into each other's eyes. Jackson walks closer to me and tucks a strand of loose hair behind my ear. As his warm fingers make contact with my skin, I feel a wave of electricity move throughout my skin.

He opens his mouth to say something but then he's interrupted by his phone.

Jackson takes a deep breath and looks at his phone, "it's my dad, I have to take it."

He walks out into the hallway, "hello?"

I could hear his conversation, and I knew it wasn't right of me to eavesdrop, but he was the one who was speaking loudly, so I listened.

"Yes, father, I'm more than capable of remembering what happened in the past 24 hours," he says, annoyed.

I already get the feeling that him and his father aren't really close. I don't get why. Jason Vanderbilt is great and not to mention very kind.

"One, it's my corporation, and two, yes." he says.

There was a brief pause until he started yelling, "you want me to do what?! That's so shallow!"

I wonder what he's talking about.

"Hello?" I answered.

I hated talking to my father. He might put on a good guy front, but I know him, and he's nowhere close to a good guy. All he cares about is money.

"Jackson, I'm hoping you remember David Thompson and his daughter?" he asked. He didn't even bother asking about how I was or what I was up to. Like always, he means business.

"Yes, father, I'm more than capable of remembering what happened in the past 24 hours," I scoff. he really thinks I'm that absentminded.

"So kind, Jackson. Let me ask you something, would you do anything for our corporation?"

"One, it's my corporation, and two, yes." I say.

"Great, that's what I thought. David Thompson isn't very sure about merging his company with ours, so I want you to get close to his daughter. Seduce her. Use your charm-"

"You want me to do what?!" I yell. He thinks it's okay to just play with someone's feelings for money. That's not me, I believe in working hard for shit rather than seducing people into doing stuff for me.

"Watch your tone, Jackson. If you don't do this, I'll have to take the business back, and I know you don't want that. David Thompson would do anything for his naive daughter, and if you get close enough to her to make her father happy then consider the company yours."

I walk into my room and lock the door, "You can't take the company back!"

"Then you better start seducing her. Maybe have someone attack her and then save her. Earn her trust," my father says.

That's such a terrible thing to do. Why in the world would I send someone to attack her. My father is crazy for even thinking I'd do such a thing.

"Fine, as long as the company is mine," I hang up and toss my phone on my bed.

I knew my father was an awful guy, but I never thought that he'd stoop so low just for a merge.

Well, if it takes playing with a girl's feelings to keep my company. I might as well do it.

Let the game begin.
—————————

this chapter was all over the place.

my mind is still fucked due to midterms, but i'll upload more often.

give me some time.

1/26/2020

-scarlet 😞