Chapter 6: The First Match

The three ran across the stairs when they met Rose. “Going somewhere?” she asked.

Albus said: “Yes, now move, we're in a hurry.” She raised her eyebrow.

“You do know we have to be in the Defence Against the Dark Arts class in fifteen minutes, and you go all the way down?”

Albus sighed. “Well, I think professor Chubbs could wait, so move!” She didn’t move.

“Albus, It’s not smart of you to miss classes.”

Albus looked at her. “I really really don’t want to fight again Rose, come on!” She didn’t move.

“Come on. We have to go to class.” She said, and she grabbed his arm and pulled it upstairs. Tyler and Quinn followed her.

***

“Good morning class!” said professor Chubbs, when the class started. “Today I have a surprise for you! We’re going outside!” The class cheered. “Hagrid is going to help us. We’re going to learn about Gnomes!” she said excited when they were walking across the grounds.

“Hello there firs’-years, I’m Hagrid!” he grunted, and the class followed him to a large cage with ugly potato-like creatures.

“Ewww! What’s that?” asked Quinn, pointing at it.

“If you were paying attention you’d know we were going to learn about Gnomes, so you’d guess it’s a Gnome, Quinn” snapped Rose.

“This is a Gnome, they’re a fair pest, they are. We’re going to see how to get rid of these plant-eating lads.” Said Professor Chubbs. “You grab it tightly at his legs, like this” she had taken out a Gnome and held both feet in one hand. The Gnome was wriggling in her chubby hands. “Then you swing it, and release it. They become dizzy, and run away. Their friends will come out because they are so dumb.” She swung the Gnome, and released it – it flew over the first-years heads. “Now, you can make pairs – and try yourself. Watch out with the swinging!” she finished, and Albus immediately stepped towards Tyler.

“Fine. I’ll go with Rose.” Quinn said. They were busy swinging Gnomes the full hour, and then they went off to the greenhouses, where they’d have Herbology.

“Morning class.” Said Professor Longbottom (though Albus preferred to call him Neville) and they all stood next to the long table. “Today you can just learn from your books, Miss Weasley, I got you a new one, as you’ve finished the first book.” He handed Rose a new  book.

***

As the weather turned colder, the lessons became more interesting. Hallowe’en was that very day, and this Sunday Albus was exploring the corridors again, with Tyler, Quinn and Rose (who wouldn’t leave them alone).

“Albus, I’m asking you, how is it your this good at Potions! You have made a perfect potion, again!” said Rose, and Tyler sighed.

“it’s Sunday Rose, come on. He’s better than you in one class, is that a problem?” Rose rolled her eyes.

“Two! You’re the best at Charms too! Our levitating lesson, you succeeded at once! And Lumos! I’ve tried it dozens of times, and you succeeded at once! Explain, how is it, you never take a look in your books and sti-” she began.

“Rose! Leave it!” snapped Albus.

she sighed, and said: “I’ve got to make my Potions essay.” She walked off.

Albus turned to Quinn and Tyler. “Why is she so annoying? Was her mother like that too?” he asked, and both shrugged.

“Let’s go to the kitchens again, I want to talk to Micky and Winky.” Tyler said, and they ran down the stairs.