26. Face Your Fears

"Riley, there are two days left until your birthday, and we have a surprise for you

"Riley, there are two days left until your birthday, and we have a surprise for you." Sam wiggled her shoulder into mine.

I took in everyone's facial expression and returned my gaze to my best friend. "A surprise? For me? You guys shouldn't have." I curiously laughed. I don't really like surprises because I get too anxious trying to figure out what it is.

Dylan laughed. "I wouldn't sound too excited if I were you."

I narrowed my eyes. "What is that supposed to mean? Can I have a hint?"

Joey grinned. "It's something we all have never done before, but you have to be open to it." I could tell by every one of their faces that they were up to something—something that I was sure I wasn't going to like.

I breathed out. "It's a surprise I have to be open to? Sounds like a solid no from me."

Sam latched her body onto mine. "It's too late! Do you trust me? Us? I'm here with the most important people in my life, and It's something different. Come on!"

I vibrated my lips, stuffing a strawberry into my mouth. "Fine! But I'm not doing anything that involves eating or touching things I don't like, or jumping and riding things that's not really in my comfort zone. Deal?" I glanced at everyone in the room, waiting for them to acknowledge my deal.

Breaking the awkward silence, I spoke, "What should I wear? Get cute? Or what?"

Sam grinned. "Uh, let's be comfortable." She rapidly nodded. "Yeah, comfortable."

Cameron added, "Riley, you're going to love this."

"Am I? Well then, guess I'll go dress . . . comfortable." I choked, weirdly walking away.

~~

"I'm never talking to any of you again," I yelled, hyperventilating. "How can you do this to me? I'm not doing this! Nope, get me down!" I felt my heart pounding through my chest, almost as if I were about to pass out. I couldn't catch my breath from the loud noises and sirens from the motor of the plane. I gripped onto straps of the suit and panicked. I don't even know why I even got on the damn plane in the first place. I knew we were going skydiving when we took the safety class, and I thought they understood I wasn't jumping, but they kept begging me.

I should learn to tackle my fears and do something new, but at the same time, this is fucking crazy.

My heart dropped, even more when Dylan and Cameron jumped out of the plane like it was nothing. I stood still as my body shook uncontrollably.

"Riley, I promise it will be okay!" Sam yelled over the loud winds.

"Why did I come? I should've stayed back and watched you guys jump." I said, fanning myself. I noticed that I started sweating, feeling dizzy from being so high up in the air.

Sam waved. "See you on the other side!" She screamed after being strapped in with the expert.

"Who's idea was this?" I panicked. "Because it was a foolish one."

"Hear me out . . . I just wanted to show you it's okay to be scared of something, but you can do anything once you face it. I used to be scared of open water because I almost drowned before, but I got over that. There's nothing to be scared of, Beautiful. I'll be right there with you." Joey yelled, connecting his eyes with mine.

I rapidly blinked. "You almost drowned?"

"Yeah, when I was a kid. They had to pump my stomach, and I swore never to swim again. I didn't let that stop me; you shouldn't either." He stated.

I forced a smile through my helmet and bit down on my lip, hard. I couldn't deny the nerves I felt and the pace of my heart and my breathing. I don't understand how they're so calm to jump thousands of feet from a plane. The instructor asked for a third time if I wanted to jump or pass. I glanced at Joey as he stood near the open doors. He gave me a reassuring smile, and I happened to yell that I'll go. The experts on the plane clapped and tried to reassure me that I would be fine.

My skin peeled back as the air hit at full force, causing my eyes to dry. I blinked away tears keeping my vision on Joey as he yelled, "I'll be right here. Calm down, okay?"

I stood across from Joey as both instructors latched themselves to us. I clenched my fist together when I caught a glimpse of the bright sunlight. My fear increased when I saw nothing but the sky. Trying to calm my nerves, I focused on the vast openness and thought about touching the ground again.

Then I'd occasionally have the thought of getting stuck in a tree or smacking something on the way down. How the hell do they know where we land? What if my parachute snaps? Or doesn't open at all? Oh, God . . .

"I've had plenty of people scared to jump, but they always end up coming back. I promise you're in good hands," the diving expert behind me spoke into my ear.

After minutes of calming me down, the countdown began.

~~

The few seconds seemed to be a blur. I couldn't see anything since my eyes were closed and I screamed so loud I gave myself a headache. The air hit my skin hard, pulling it back. It was almost the same as sticking your head out of the window while someone drives fast. Except . . . thousands of feet above the safety of land.

I noticed my screams fading out when I heard Joey somewhere near me. I slowly peeled my eyes open, witnessing the beauty of everything from this angle. The sky stretched out everywhere I looked, and the clouds were shaped like oversized cotton balls.

"Woah," I mumbled.

A flock of birds flew past, avoiding the area I was diving. Even though I told myself not to look down, I did. I couldn't see much of the ground below me, but I could see very light spurts of green and water if I focused long enough.

My nerves turned into fascination. I've never seen anything as beautiful as being this far up in the air. I felt weightless as we glided through the sky at a fast pace. Lee, my instructor, yelled for me to grab his hand during our free fall due to the powerful wind hitting our way. I tried not to panic and capture control of my breathing.

What felt like years darting through the sky, Lee launched the parachute, which yanked us in another direction. We were now going at a much slower pace, which I appreciated. As we were cruising in the sky, I felt myself slowly let loose and enjoyed the calm wind hitting my scalp as my hair flew all over the place. I felt free, and it was more intoxicating than any drug.

Lee kept asking if I was okay because I got silent, taking in the sensation. I let the silkiness of the wind guide me as my goggles misted. As I started getting closer to the ground, the trees and high-rises became visible. My eyes ventured everywhere and then at the blossoming parachute above me.

I looked over to the side after hearing my name multiple times. I saw Joey from afar, reaching out for me. We were too far even to latch hands, but I pushed my arm towards him for the hell of it. I couldn't stop laughing as we approached the landing zone.

As I hit the ground, I saw Sam, Cam, and Dylan clapping for me as we came to a stop. My legs felt limp as I tried to stand, but Lee held me up.

When he unlatched us, I took a deep breath and didn't know what to say. It wasn't as bad as I thought and that . . . is what's crazy. Of course, it doesn't make me free of my fear of heights, but it's something.

Sam cautiously spoke, "So?"

I held in my excitement. "I still hate you guys, but that was . . . incredible."

Joey winked in my direction with a big smile plastered on his face. "Exactly." He mouthed.