Chapter 4 Part 3: The Cave

Walten's POV

  It was getting dark, but the blizzard is still going. My attention was on the fire before it turned to (Y/n)'s sleeping form. She's been asleep for three hours. I stared at her before my gaze averted to her locket, which glows and fades in a heart like rhythm. I reached my hand and lightly grabbed it, the gem on the locket glowed in response. The warmth and pulse was unbelievable. I stood on my knees and placed my ear onto the locket.

*Ba-Dum*

*Ba-Dum*

  I silently gasped at the sound. It even sounds like a heartbeat. I looked at (Y/n) then the locket that I stared at with questioning look. I rubbed my thumb on the gem, I felt it's pulsing warmth underneath it. "How is this possible? It's impossible to have a object as a heart. Right?" I questioned myself.

  I continue to look at it, until I heard (Y/n) groan as her eyes fluttered open. I flinched as she made eye contact with me before her eyes fell on her locket. "Uh, Walten. Why are you holding my locket?" She said as she made a distance from me.

  "Um. Well."

  "Walten?"

  "...... I heard it." I said locking my eyes at her's. "When I woke up before you, back at where we met 431. I tried to find a pulse, but I couldn't find one." I said looking down, remembering the fear of losing her.........

Wait.

What?

  I shook my head, clearing my thoughts. "I saw your locket glowing in a rhythm, I didn't think it would sound like a real heart beat. But it did." I said looking at her locket again before meeting her eyes. "Is there something about the locket that I should know? Or should I figure that out?" I said as my eyes lid, but still hold on a strong gazed at her.

  "...... My locket is my lifeline." (Y/n) said lowering her gaze to the floor. My eyes widen at her then the locket. "What?"

  "It's true. I can't remember why exactly." (Y/n) said rubbing her temples. I looked at her, worried. "So, this locket is basically your Soul?"

  "In a way, I guess." (Y/n) said, lightly grazing her thumb on the gem. "I just know, if this breaks, I....." She hesitates, but I know what she's going to say. "I understand." I breathed out, still processing. She is definitely a mystery itself.

  "..... Are you mad?" (Y/n) said as her voice cracked, indicating she was on the verge to tears. I looked up at her with a slight surprise. Of course she would blame herself. My eyes softened as I gently grabbed her hand and pressed it between both of my hands with reinsurance. "No, I'm not mad. You got nothing to worry about." I then intertwined my pinky to hers. "Remember our promise? No matter what, we got each other's back."

  "Heh, right." (Y/n) chuckled as she smiles at me, I return the smile before wrapping my arms around her waist and pulling towards me. (Y/n) flinched at my touch, but then placed her hands on my forearms, melting into the hug. A soft rumble resonates in my throat as my short tail waved on the couch as I breathed out a laugh. "You know, if you keep on forgetting the promise, this might become a recurring thing."